Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes-Benz S320 SWB
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well heres my situation... My 1994 S320 had a bad headgasket and I removed the head with intentions to put a new headgasket but I never got to finishing the job.

Now I had a 2000 Honda Civic with ALOT of body damage and I traded a mechanic the honda to finish the headgasket on the mercedes, So the mechanic is all happy to do the trade and tows my car to the shop right away.

But after he had the head taken to the machine shop to resurface and seen how many parts were involved in the job he was not so pumped up to do the job, he told me a week and it should be completed.

Its been 2 weeks now and hes nejelecting to work on the car and is complaining about when I took the chain off I only marked the intake cam gear and not the exhaust cam gear. The mechanic is now saying that because I didnt do this its made the job very difficult for his workers to complete the job. He is asking me to goto the mercedes dealership and get the info from there shop but the mercedes dealer is not very willing to help because im not a customer.

My question is can someone explain how I can start from scratch with this timing, The crank is on TDC, Do I simply need to line with the 4mm holes on the back of the cam sprockets with the head surface? I told the mechanic that and he said that it does not mean thats the correct position.

Ive read all kinds of posts about M104 timing chain stuff and nothing really tells me exactly what needs to be done?

Any help would be greatly appeciated, I want to get my car repaired and back from this mechanic ASAP before he screws me over.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
Not everyone can work on a Mercedes. Gotta have the proper tools too being Metric, they are hard to find.

On the TDC issue. Set crank to O/T and on the cams they should both have TDC marks. Whether is a pin hole or a notch. Maybe someone with a M104 engine manual can help you out. Once you have all 3 set at TDC. Then just plug the sprockets back in. After that make sure you have all your tension on the left side where there engine tensioner is. You do this by turning the crankshaft left and right until you feel the slack on the side where it belongs. Make sure you go forward a little bit on the crank if you decide to turn the crank backwards- just to make sure the kinks in the chain are worked out. On the 103 engine you use a short 27mm socket to turn the crank. Not sure if it is the same on the M104 engine. It helps with two people. One under the car and one watching the timing notches. The sprockets will also fit on one way. There should be a special notch so you cant misalign it. Remember patience is the key. It took us an hour to set the timing to TDC and have the chain slack worked out. This was because I forgot to set TDC before I crushed the head gasket on the M103 engine.

Iss posted a nice pic for you to see.

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes-Benz S320 SWB
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pictures are for the M103.. Thanks though, anyone else have more detailed info? I need to get my car back from this guy, hes had it for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
How did you deduce that? Two cams and all.
Word! I just rebuilt my m103 engine. I think I know how it looks like, but apparently that guy above you doesnt. He should look up and know the difference between SOHC and DOHC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts