Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the conventional wisdom on porting, polishing, flow testing an M104 head? Will it make much of a difference from stock, or is it really a lot of money for little gain?

My head gasket needs doing and I was wondering if this is something I should consider having done at the same time......

Regards to all, Inspector.

·
Registered
1994 E220 Coupe
337 Posts
I think as with any NA work each modification builds on the next.
So, maybe P&P itself will not get you a lot of gain, but couple that with headers, exhaust, intake, maybe even cams and ECU and the difference will be staggering for sure.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,756 Posts
I am not certain that the P & P will yield much vs. the cost. I agree with the above that combined with headers, intake, etc etc would make a difference. However, finding off the shelf products such as cams, headers, re-worked ECU and so on is going to more difficult than your quest for the electric seat with memory. If this stuff was out there, there would be a load of us using these up-grades.

Jayare

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
If your heads are coming off for a new gasket then why not match the ports to the intake / exhaust and clean them up a bit.

More important then P+P would be a competition valve job which involves multi angle cutting the seats to allow much better flow and valve seating...

Check out the guides, springs and spring height at the same time.

Ed A.

·
Registered
W124
5,175 Posts
I'm sure you'll get a bit of an increase from the motor with a more balanced and free-breathing head, but as mentioned above, you don't start really seeing the increase until you compliment the P&P with other mods. In general,european motors are fairly well developed from the start; getting more out of them really starts to cost bucks. Its not like an american motor where they left lots of hp on the table for relatively easy picking. FWIW, keep your 104 stock and buy a nice 400e or 420e if you want to go faster in a 124. Heck, its always good to have a spare car around anyway :)

·
Registered
2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
1,327 Posts
If you want more power go the for a turbo setup. Best HP gains for the buck.

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
If you look at my recent OM602 headgasket thread, you'll see that I did some mild port work on the head, along with hand-lapping the valves/seats. This is a turbo engine, so I wouldn't expect much difference, but my seat-o-the-pants meter indicates some significant improvements in responsiveness throughout the RPM range. I no longer let any aluminum head get by without some port work to clean up the factory castings and such. I strongly believe that NA engines really benefit from these efforts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts