Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Euro (German) 1996 E280T (S124) ASR/AC
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Planning on buying a new Bosch MAF sensor for my 1995 E280T (M104 hfm). The original sensor was replaced aprox 50K ago (by the previous owner) with a genuine Mercedes OE Bosch sensor. This one I've cleaned (due to KN-filter) and it's seems to work ok from what I can see from my ELM327/HOB-drive diagnostics.

Anyway I'm planning on bying a spare MAF sensor from Bosch, but from the pictures I've seen of this Bosch OEM sensor it isn't identical to the genuine MB/Bosch OE. The metal half sensor body is silver on the OEM vs dark grey on the OE. The OE sensor also has openings in the sides of the sensor body which leads air flow through to the hybrid curcuit window and flow fins along the window. These features I can not see at all on the few photos I found of the OEM Bosch sensor. The aftermarket Bosch sensors looks more similar to the rest of cheaper ones out there like Pierburg, Bremi etc than to genuiune MB sensors. It seems to be written in stone that OEM Bosch MAF is the same as OE, but I fear not and if that isn't true maybe the performance isn't quite the same either..

Can someone with a Bosch 0280217500 OEM (aftermarket) MAF sensor confirm this and/or elaborate (if any) differences in design and performance? Please see the uploaded photos of my genuine Mercedes MAF. The housing for it has the same Bosch part numbers as well as the Mercedes Star. Another difference I can spot on the housing, is that the grille on the genuine OE seems to be separate and has metal locking ring.

Sorry for the photos I happened to have aren't better. Photo 1 and 2 are of my Genuine Mercedes sensor. The third is a rare photo I found of an OEM Bosch sensor (usually photos are of the housing only). This seems not to have the fins or the air flow holes to the hybrid curcuit window on the metal half body..

20200126_171449.jpg 20200126_171322.jpg 0280217500-0000940548-BOSCH-OEM-Mercedes-Benz-Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-E320-S320-08-sp.jpeg

·
Registered
04 odyssey (265k) 1995 E320 wagon (295k)
2,924 Posts
Save some kroner, Bosch is good in this instance. Replaced mine 4 years ago with Bosch, no issues. Was a big difference in price vs MB. Bought it from the bohemoth amazon for the best price. No need to buy MB, and I've never seen a metal MAF, except from metal housed ones on the m119's. Only ever seen plastic for the 104 hfm's

·
Registered
Euro (German) 1996 E280T (S124) ASR/AC
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The housing is not made of any metal, it is the sensor body itself inside the housing which is made of two halfes, one plastic and one metal.

The possible differences in design worry me and I suspect a cost reducing design leaving the quality and performance the same as the rest of the cheaper parts with similar simplified design.

I'm not very familiar with the function of the hybrid curcuit, but the genuine MB sensor has openings to lead air flow through to it and the sealant on the curcuit board has pin prick holes, thus one would assume it has sensoring features the simpler closed design doesn't.

Do someone have photos of the OEM Bosch sensor without the housing? I'm interested to see if the hybrid curcuit window is totally sealed of like on Pierburg sensor or if it is like OE (which hybrid curcuit seems to have sensoring function additional to the main hot film sensor)

I tested Pierburg sensor recently. It overreported air flow (just barely) and that lead to 8-10% negative fuel trim compared to 0 - 5% positive from the OE sensor

Perfect operating MAF and oxygen sensor is crucial.

Here are photos of the Pierburg sensor I tested. Notice totally sealed of hybrid curcuit window and way different main hot film sensor. Seems to be rather primitive compared to OE. Maybe more durable and great build quality, but not that accurate..

Sent fra min SM-N975F via Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts