Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my C280 has a very irritating ticking sound, I'm pretty confident it is lifter related. I asked my mechanic (who recently replaced my head gasket) what I can do about it, and he claims there is nothing that can be done, that it is normal and even replacing the lifters will not remedy it. He even said oil additives are a waste of time. Noise increases and decreases with revs, does not subside.

Is there really nothing I can do? It sort of lets down an otherwise elegant car. :frown

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hello everyone, my C280 has a very irritating ticking sound, I'm pretty confident it is lifter related. I asked my mechanic (who recently replaced my head gasket) what I can do about it, and he claims there is nothing that can be done, that it is normal and even replacing the lifters will not remedy it. He even said oil additives are a waste of time. Noise increases and decreases with revs, does not subside.

Is there really nothing I can do? It sort of lets down an otherwise elegant car. :frown
For starters, you can try using the search feature - top right corner... :)

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts

These are the steps I'd take:

1. Take the car for a good hard drive.
2. Remove about 2lt of engine oil and replace with diesel. Run engine up to temperature and intermittently rev engine to 2000 rpm for 20 minutes. Change engine oil & filter. Again, do a good hard drive.

Might work, might not but costs little.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Is adding diesel into the engine oil for cleaning? Isn't is safer to use an engine cleaner instead?

These are the steps I'd take:

1. Take the car for a good hard drive.
2. Remove about 2lt of engine oil and replace with diesel. Run engine up to temperature and intermittently rev engine to 2000 rpm for 20 minutes. Change engine oil & filter. Again, do a good hard drive.

Might work, might not but costs little.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yep, diesel for internal cleaning. Is it unsafe? I don't know being candid (using too much wouldn't be wise) but it's a very old trick and has worked for me in the past where specific branded engine cleaners did not.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
For a safer bet, perhaps try 1/3 of a bottle of seafoam, straight thru the BB vacuum line and the rest into the gas tank.
Follow the instructions.

·
Registered
222 Posts
What grade oil are you using? I run nothing but 15W-40 in my C280 with 240000+ miles and its dead quiet and smooth. Try that before you drive yourself nuts. I kid you not its so quiet and smooth I got gas a few months ago while forgetting to shut off my car, like it was a old locomotive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is the noise all the time? it doesn't depend if the Engine is hot or cold?. when i had ticking noise from my m104 c36 i changed the oil from 0w40 to 10w40 and it dissappeard right away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
zibpka
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing