Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, quite a few threads out there on the pump brand of choice but the parameters keep changing over the years. So here it goes....
Options below:

(1) MB rebuilt from the dealership + orings , with core return = $173 with 10% discount of the month
(2) Laso ~ $145 + meed to buy the orings so maybe $155
(3) Graf ~ Not readily available but seems around $120 or so plus the orings.

Which option would you go with?

My car has only had MB pumps, but the track record is not that great to be honest.
And the coolant has been perfectly maintained over the past 30 years. No sign of rust anywhere in the system to this day.
MB coolant for most of the life, I'm not sure between 125K-175K miles, I did not have the car then.

1st original - lasted till 62K miles before it started leaking. Replaced with new one at the dealer
2nd replaced with a rebuilt MB at 140K miles (at some random shop unfortunately when I did not have the car)
Now we are at 195K miles, and I see some water dripping from under the pump area (not hose connections)

I really hope this is the last time I'm doing this as I only use the car ~4K miles a year.
And this time I will be doing the pump replacement.and tensioner, belt, etc as well. All parts in hand, I'm glad I held that till we had another pump failure.

Advice please on option 1,2 or 3. Price is not that much of an issue, I want the longest lasting unit. The rebuilt MB only lasted 40K miles so a bit disappointed with that.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,097 Posts
Out of those three i would go for the Graf i fitted a Meyle to mine 3 years ago, and it came with everything needed even the thermostat housing and o rings .

·
Registered
96 E320
155 Posts
Would the Hella / Behr be an option? Saw it at Rockauto.com for $135 (last one in blue section):

I'm a little surprised that Rein would be considered an "economy" option. I know they are OEM for some things. Don't know about the water pump, though. Just saw the Graf pump at eeuroparts.com for $116:

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,891 Posts
Graf for the win, BUT get the gasket and O rings from the MB dealer.

MB's rebuilt pumps aren't worth the box they come in.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Graf for the win, BUT get the gasket and O rings from the MB dealer.

MB's rebuilt pumps aren't worth the box they come in.
Why are the MB rebuilt ones are not good sbaert? My last one only lasted 50K miles so that is certainly not very good.
But then the original also only lasted 60K miles.

Some on other sites recommend MB rebuilt ones, I'm not sure why?

So you would recommend Graf over Laso.

AutohausAZ also has a Saleri (most expensive at ~$195). What is that one all about?

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,891 Posts
Considering that the water pump job on the W124 gassers is a multi hour affair, why futz around with what essentially are used pumps pressed into active duty again?

Graf pumps are cast from new and machined precisely for a perfect fit. As I said, just get the gasket and O rings from the dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts