Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
W124
5,300 Posts
Not optimal but enough output to move on to something else such as having the battery load tested.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,535 Posts
Regulator is pretty self explanatory. The only sole caveat is to avoid cracking/damaging the new brushes during install. The brushes are very delicate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sounds like a loose battery terminal or maybe engine to chassis ground strap broke/loose.
Should have investigated this more. You were correct, the negative battery terminal was very corroded and sparking upon crank. I replaced it and the car started right up! I did still put a new alternator in it as the old one was pretty oily (car had several oil leaks from the sls and timing cover before I owned it) and wasn’t putting great numbers anymore.

Thank you everyone! Your help was priceless.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
A tipical problem this one - a no maintenance problem . The heart of the system is the battery and it was never checked out first .

·
Registered
W124
5,300 Posts
Your words: "I have taken out the starter and tested it and its fine. After attempting to crank the whole car just “shuts down”. All systems are off and I can not attempt to crank again until I disconnected the battery."

The info you get back from the forum is only as good as the information you provide. Glad its fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Your words: "I have taken out the starter and tested it and its fine. After attempting to crank the whole car just “shuts down”. All systems are off and I can not attempt to crank again until I disconnected the battery."

The info you get back from the forum is only as good as the information you provide. Glad its fixed.
Not sure what you mean by this? I am definitely a novice and was trying to explain the situation to the best of my abilities. I will be sure to put any future questions in a more easily understood format.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
W124
5,300 Posts
Not sure what you mean by this? I am definitely a novice and was trying to explain the situation to the best of my abilities. I will be sure to put any future questions in a more easily understood format.

Thanks again.
I think most of us would presume that someone who has removed the starter on a Mercedes would clean and properly attach the battery cables. Thats all I meant.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,888 Posts
But there again we all have to start some place .Now Leo will know about this ,,the very next time the problem comes along .It was jusy how i got to know items of importance do need looking after . 90%of failure is electrical .

21 - 29 of 29 Posts