Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

My 300te 4matic will not crank. It was cruising around happily and then suddenly nothing after parking it briefly. I have taken out the starter and tested it and its fine. After attempting to crank the whole car just “shuts down”. All systems are off and I can not attempt to crank again until I disconnected the battery.

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
12,822 Posts
Have you placed the shifter in neutral and tried to start the car? Your description of the problem points me toward a failed/failing NSS (neutral safety switch) located on the left side of the transmission. Is there "slop" in the shift lever? Failed/worn shifter bushings can also create a no start scenario. Do your backup lights work?

Report back

Jayare

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1995 E320 Cabriolet, 1980 TR8
1,326 Posts
When you say everything just" shuts down" can you define that with a little more detail? Do the instrument warning lamps, courtesy lamps, etc. go out in addition to no starter motor?

If it is only the starter motor, suspect the NSS or the alarm system if you car is equipped with one that is the starter lock-out version.

If you loose power to everything, check your battery connections and/or the battery itself. Check the battery voltage during a "black out".

If just the instrument lamps are out, clean the contacts on fuse 5 and the replace it.

Lastly, if only normally switched loads are out, suspect the ignition switch.

Reactions: Jayare

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you placed the shifter in neutral and tried to start the car? Your description of the problem points me toward a failed/failing NSS (neutral safety switch) located on the left side of the transmission. Is there "slop" in the shift lever? Failed/worn shifter bushings can also create a no start scenario. Do your backup lights work?

Report back

Jayare

Yes I have tried that and the car still just clicks once and then enters this weird black out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you say everything just" shuts down" can you define that with a little more detail? Do the instrument warning lamps, courtesy lamps, etc. go out in addition to no starter motor?

If it is only the starter motor, suspect the NSS or the alarm system if you car is equipped with one that is the starter lock-out version.

If you loose power to everything, check your battery connections and/or the battery itself. Check the battery voltage during a "black out".

If just the instrument lamps are out, clean the contacts on fuse 5 and the replace it.

Lastly, if only normally switched loads are out, suspect the ignition switch.
Yeah absolutely all systems are “offline”. I am also beginning to suspect the kill switch if the alarm system. As the alarm has given me troubles before and can only be turned off by using the trunk lock. I had a small amount of success with locking the car while the battery was disconnected and then unlocking it while it was reconnected. This worked about two times and now we are back to the car clicking once and then entering the blackout.

thanks,
Leo

·
W124 Moderator
12,822 Posts
Is it a factory or aftermarket alarm system?

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
I've never seen a factory or aftermarket alarm that completely kills all power when triggered (I'm sure this is because of the relay current switching requirements to do that).

Measure the battery voltage (even with a cheap test light) directly on the battery and then at the battery junction point under the hood during a "blackout" This will be informative.

I once had a battery in my TR8 where one of the internal cell-to-cell bus bars cracked. Tightening the battery connections at the posts caused it to make contact, but as soon as a high current load like the starter was placed on it, the broken internal connection opened up causing an apparently completely dead battery.

·
W124 Moderator
12,822 Posts
Wow, another former TR 8 owner!

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Cool - always nice to know someone who has been in the 8 club! I still have my TR8, but for some reason with the new forum format it doesn't show up on my car list under my avatar.

TR8 photo 2.JPG

·
Registered
W124
5,232 Posts
Put the car in Park. WIth the ignition switch off, jump a wire from the positive battery terminal to the center male pin of this three pin connector on the bulkhead in the engine compartment. You should find it near and in front of the brake booster. As soon as you touch the wire to the pin, the starter should crank for as long as the wire is connected. If you get the starter cranking you have eliminated the starter, solenoid, battery, battery cable as the problem. And one more time, do this with the transmission in "Park"
IMG_1231 600dpi.jpg

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,430 Posts
Sounds like a loose battery terminal or maybe engine to chassis ground strap broke/loose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a loose battery terminal or maybe engine to chassis ground strap broke/loose.
Put the car in Park. WIth the ignition switch off, jump a wire from the positive battery terminal to the center male pin of this three pin connector on the bulkhead in the engine compartment. You should find it near and in front of the brake booster. As soon as you touch the wire to the pin, the starter should crank for as long as the wire is connected. If you get the starter cranking you have eliminated the starter, solenoid, battery, battery cable as the problem. And one more time, do this with the transmission in "Park" View attachment 2639975
Alright,
It cranked after letting the battery charge over night and drive fine for a day. Then
Put the car in Park. WIth the ignition switch off, jump a wire from the positive battery terminal to the center male pin of this three pin connector on the bulkhead in the engine compartment. You should find it near and in front of the brake booster. As soon as you touch the wire to the pin, the starter should crank for as long as the wire is connected. If you get the starter cranking you have eliminated the starter, solenoid, battery, battery cable as the problem. And one more time, do this with the transmission in "Park" View attachment 2639975
Alright,
I charged the battery overnight and the car cranked fine and drove. Although I did have to lock and unlock it a few times before I was able to fire it up. This is leading me to believe that it might be a combination of low voltage from the battery and the alarm system killing the starter. From what I understand these models have a kill switch in the alarm? I might be wrong but I wonder if my alarm is disabling the starter when it reads that the voltage is low?
Thanks for the help everyone!
Leo

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,495 Posts
How old is the battery? If it is beyond 4 years old, first stop is getting a new quality group49 size battery. Get it load tested at a nearby auto parts place or use your own.

Once the engine is running, use your volt meter to see what the battery is getting.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,229 Posts
Are you sure your alternator is charging? Battery after parking overnight should be around 12.6V .... Start the engine, let it run a minute, and you should see at least 13.6 but no more than 14.4 volts. As someone said, turn on everything electric (high beams and fogs and fan on high ac) and should still be 13.4 V or better. If not, you aren't charging, you need to sort out the alternator

1 - 16 of 16 Posts