Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was reading a prev post on here, and the gentl mentioned that he resets the tensioner from time to time, and he wrote about how he does this, my question is this something we should be doing as maintenance, or is it best to just leave it alone,,Id be interested to hear from other M103 owners, who have dealt with this,,,,thank you,,,,

·
Registered
12 odyssey (90k) 1995 E320 wagon (307k) 1983 500se (172k)
3,115 Posts
Just leave it alone. Its self adjusting. What's the mileage on the car? Typically they are done with timing chain replacement.
But others have reinstalled incorrectly and then caused chain to be overtightened and caused damage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, my car has 120k miles on it, and it sounds like I’m getting very slight timing chain slap, from the top front of the motor, someone posted previously that they replaced the tensioner, and it fixed their issues,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what i was afraid of, i think its beyond my mechanical abilities, there is too many things to go wrong , i think it might have to get a professional to do this one,,Im scared to see what amount they would charge for a job like this,,,,

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
15,713 Posts
I don't know on the six cylinder but it's about £800 on the V8 for top guides and chain.

If I were you I would probably just try a new tensioner. I would recommend MB only. Check the archives about that when you have time, aftermarket is much much cheaper but...

Tensioner is super easy on mine. Two bolts but don't strip the threads.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,930 Posts
If you do decide to replace the timing chain, rails etc-check out this old post. You have to scroll down a bit until you come to the timing chain stuff. I had a time getting the tensioner cover back on. There is a picture of what I used in post #19.

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
2,549 Posts
Done nothing yet at 120.000 might be something else .Could be hydaulic tappet compensators ..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts