Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300E 4dr Sedan Green/Tan Interior
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the oil leaking into the coolant, I have no other reason to replace my head gasket. Is it necessary on these cars to mill the head to do this replacement???

Also, where can I find information for TDC timing??? ANy advice on pulling/replacing the timing chain. I have only done belts in all my years.

Otherwise my W124 has been a GREAT car. (Besides the analog clock not working. LOL)

·
Registered
95 E320 Cabriolet, 140K
1,332 Posts
Milling depends on the flatness of the head deck. Depending on the miles, it would probably be a good idea to have the head reconditioned otherwise. Your should work with your local machinist to determine if the head needs milling.

As far as reinstalling the timing chain... before working on the engine, turn it to TDC, then make good notes/photographs on the position of the cam sprockets so it can be reinstalled in the exact same position. Marking the cam and reference point may help. A manual may also help to guide this procedure.

I think to replace the timing chain both need to be opened, then the new chain coupled to the old chain and threaded into position.

·
Registered
99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB
2,282 Posts
Aside from the oil leaking into the coolant, I have no other reason to replace my head gasket. Is it necessary on these cars to mill the head to do this replacement???

Also, where can I find information for TDC timing??? ANy advice on pulling/replacing the timing chain. I have only done belts in all my years.

Otherwise my W124 has been a GREAT car. (Besides the analog clock not working. LOL)

Oil leaking into coolant could also mean coolant leaking into oil...
Best to change.
Most leaks in the head gasket create a weeping to the outer head area.
The heads are a heavy casting and more then likely do not need machining.

If you're going to the trouble to remove. you might as well do the valves, springs, lifters, etc if affordable to you.

A mechanic usually will charge between $1200 - $1700 to just change out the head gasket in a M103-12V.

It's a very common problem and can occur even at low miles....I replaced mine at 60K miles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts