Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This regards my 1989 300SE with 233k miles. I'm replacing my S-belt tensioner, and I'm stumped. I can not remove the fan belt pulley. I removed the 8mm hex and the fan. I removed the 4 bolts and ring on the front of the pulley. But this pulley won't budge. I pulled on it. I tried using screwdrivers behind it, where the locking tool goes, and pried forward. I can't get it to come off.

I've read where it's super soft, so I don't want to damage it. Is there some trick? Am I missing something? Should it slip right off and the fact that one doesn't is a concern? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,036 Posts
You will need to use a puller .It went on that way so will come off the same way .This is the harmonic balancer.And the ouitside of the pully is bonded on to the inner part of the pully .So if you do it wrong then you can damage the H/B .

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,036 Posts
You will need to use a puller .It went on that way so will come off the same way .This is the harmonic balancer.And the ouitside of the pully is bonded on to the inner part of the pully .So if you do it wrong then you can damage the H/B .
Reply SORRY this is not the harmonic balencer but your fan pully and same will apply removal with puller is the way to go .

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,258 Posts
Just curious, why is it being removed. It certainly is not part of a regular belt components (belt, tensioner, dampener) replacement that I know of.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a Y-shaped bracket in front of the tensioner. The bolt on the right of the car for this bracket, and the bracket itself, are behind the fan pulley. From what I've seen, this bolt only needs to be loosened enough to move the bracket and then the tensioner can be removed. But I can't figure out how to access the bolt without removing the fan pulley. And all the step-by-steps I read say, "remove fan pulley." But no specifics on how to pull it off, forward.

In fact, one "how to" doesn't mention removing the fan pulley. In it, they remove the water pump pulley and power steering pulley, and skip to a clip of the fan pulley gone and the bracket loose.

Attachments

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,258 Posts
It might be that the 300SE is the only M103 engine chassis that requires a removal of the fan pulley. All other models mentioned in this instruction do not seem to require it.
You're the one with the rolled up sleeves in there wrenching away and what you are seeing must be the case. Good luck with the work. I have not done this work so hopefully another forum member with the experience can help you.

- Cheers!

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went back out to the car today. The fan pulley literally pulled off by hand. So maybe my tugging loosened some dirt and grime and such.

Before I pulled on the fan pulley, I tried every tool I had to get to that bolt. There was no other way. That said, having pull off by hand was a pleasant surprise.

The new tensioner equipment is installed. The pulleys are back on. Now I'm just having trouble getting the new belt on. Now for some research!

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah. Initially I put the belt on wrong, and it was super-loose. Then, I found this diagram. And it was too tight. Then I found the diagram that gave the install order for the pulleys, and I used some muscle. But it's on and running great! Thanks

Here's a link to my posts on getting the belt on, if it'll be of help to anyone in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts