Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm doing the head gasket on my 300TE- M103 motor, and there aren't any washers between the head bolts & head? I expected to see them there but none of the bolts had them. I know M104 has them, the worldpac supplier I use offers them for this engine ... I wonder if someone left them off last head gasket? The bolts have a wider face than the bolts on the M104 engine, so maybe this is correct. Any one familiar with this? Removing old bolts was a real squeaker even with 18" bar.

cheers

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
OK, so I'm doing the head gasket on my 300TE- M103 motor, and there aren't any washers between the head bolts & head? I expected to see them there but none of the bolts had them. I know M104 has them, the worldpac supplier I use offers them for this engine ... I wonder if someone left them off last head gasket? The bolts have a wider face than the bolts on the M104 engine, so maybe this is correct. Any one familiar with this? Removing old bolts was a real squeaker even with 18" bar.

cheers
I don't know about the twin cam but my '88 103 had the washers when I freshened up the head two months ago. They were quite thick; I am surprised that a used set of already stretched headbolts could still have enough room to work! I bought new bolts from M/B and they were under $3.00 each. I would get the correct washers from them - I can't imagine them not using washers.

·
W124 Moderator
12,603 Posts
The repair procedure says it is recommened to change the head bolts "and" head bolt washers.... There should have been washers.. I would replace both, as it is inexpensive to take this step and do the job right.

Good Luck,

Jayare

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
I thought that they were missing, that may explain the oil leak. I always use new bolts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts