Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Gertrûd - 1988 300SE
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor old Gertrúd, she's got almost 242k on her and has had somewhat of a hard life...the poor old beast burns 1qt of oil every 500 miles [V] so I decided it's definitely time to replace the valve stem seals. In the not-too-distant future, I want to find a used head that I can port and polish, and do a total rebuild (rings, bearings, etc), but for now, the stem seals NEED to be replaced. The stealership said they usually put about 20lbs of air pressure in the cylinder to keep the valve in place...I have everything I need to do that, but I don't know how to remove the springs and retainer clips. I've heard there are some special tools that bolt to the head and make the job a breeze, anyone have any ideas???
Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
Gertrûd - 1988 300SE
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP - M103.981 Valve Stem Seal replacement

*BUMP* to da top!
Come on guys, I need help with this one, the stealership wants about $600 for something I could do in about 2 hours and $75 in parts!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Well, at that mileage you are Far past a simple band aid valve stem seal.. Your valve guides are SHOT w/o question. Seals may buy you a couple thousand miles at best.

Do the job right and have the head done, it will be like getting a new car w/ the added performance etc..

There are special spring compressors and adapters to screw into the spark plug holes to hold pressure etc..

Instead of wasting $$ on tools and effort I would go to Wal Mart and buy gallons of their supertech 20-50..

Jonathan

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
Yeh there are two special tools that make the job real easy.

Not sure of the part numbers or where you could get them from but if you only intend to do it once, it would be cheaper to pay a garage that has the tools to do the job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts