Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280SL -85 (Euro)
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there... I’m starting to rebuild the ignition on my 300 TE using megasquirt and EDIS ignition.
I used to hang out on the R107 forum where I wrote a Megasquirt writeup for the M110 engine, I had no problem finding an ignition map for that engine but for the M103 it seems harder.
Does anyone have a decent ignition curve or map?

Kind regards. Peter

·
Registered
1989 W124 260E
1,124 Posts
You can find more info if you go to Google serch page then to the top right you will see images click on it . Then put in the search what you need, it will find images and lots on mega squirt projects .Also these guys might help you - GP TECH SERVICES and MSEXTRA.COM

·
Registered
280SL -85 (Euro)
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...
I can create a map myself based on the engine type but I'm looking for a already tuned map for a na M103 3.0L engine, which isn't that easy to find using google or at other sites.
// Peter

·
Registered
280SL -85 (Euro)
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you found an ignition map for a naturally aspirated m103 engine?

Can Mod please remove this discussion thread since I'm probably in the wrong forum...

// Peter

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts

·
Registered
280SL -85 (Euro)
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
note the EZL ignition control module on these cars has both vacuum and RPM based advance, as well as coolant temp sensor driven offsets

there's some timing data here for various configurations,
but its not a full map, just timing at idle and 3200 rpm with and without vacuum.
Thanks, It will help.
I will use a cam-sensor as trigger and a mapsensor which will provide Megasquirt with nessacery data to handle the Ignition.
// Peter

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,847 Posts
um, the crank sensor is the primary sensor used on the m103. i'm not sure there's a cam sensor on a 103 at all, I know there's one on an 104, but thats used to monitor the cam advance.yeah,

·
Registered
280SL -85 (Euro)
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the confusion...
I will remove the distributer and put a triggerwheel and a cam-sensor in it's place then a new MAP sensor will be used to measure the "Load".
I will then use Megasquirt EFI to handle the EDIS ignition which have a separate ignition coil for each sparkplug instead of the original single one.
The increase of "energy" in each spark and the possibility to fine tune the ignition advance in every given moment makes wonder to an old engine. I've done this before and each time, the fuel consumption has decreased 15-20%. This is real measured values on M110 engines, but I hope for at least a 10% lowe fuel consumption on this engine.
The cost is debatable but the engine response, milage and the advantage of a electronic ignition instead of a mechanical distributor makes it worth it.
// Peter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts