Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, newbie again.

Two days ago My friend took my car for detailing. He did the whole exterior and interior and he told me he also degreased the engine and washed it out.

I picked up the car yesterday and it was running just fine. I go to start my car this morning and the idle is sitting at around 500-600 rpm and whole motor and shaking and died. I fired it up back again and it starts but idles really rough and low.

I'm positive this is because of the washing of the engine. I took all plugs+wires and checked for water , also took the dist. cap off and dried it good. Took air filter out and housing and cleaned the throttle body. I did all this after reading on another forum that thats what might be causing this issue. The spark plugs +wires are only about a week old.

When i step on the gas the slightest bit a really rough noise comes from around the valve cover, almost like timing chain loose but im not sure . I also did drive it on the highway for a good 20 mins and got the engine nice and hot and problem presists. There is hesitation at throttle starting from a stop and at about 3000rpm the car seems smooth...still can feel a tiny of of hesitation when im on the throttle. When coming to a full stop, idle becomes REALLY rough again and car shakes like crazy from the motor.

im really upset that it has come to this. I want to take it to a mechanic but wanted to see if you guys have any other ideas i could look over before i start digging into my savings.

any tips would be appreciated. I now know not to let anyone "clean" your engine bay.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor, 2005 Volvo S60 T5 AWD, 1992 190E 2.3 -Totaled
951 Posts
There could be some water down the throttle body, it either got there from a leak in the seal for the air cleaner housing, or from the rubber intake boot being dried out and cracked.

The way the throttle body is designed on our car is not like a regular one you would see where the plate is upright, on our cars, if you push down the air flow meter, you will see the throttle body is laying flat, so as a result water could have dripped down below it.

Check the IACV hoses as well for cracks, water could have gotten through there, or inside the IACV itself.

This could be causing an improper mixture and resulting in the car running poorly. Check the ignition module as well for any signs of moisture or water.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Jacob.

So far iv'e cleaned the iavc hoses, took the unit out itself and sprayed it down with some cleaner and put it back in. Changed spark plugs +wires. Cleaned throttle body and ignition module.

The problem seems to still be there.

One thing i found that is if i unplug the negative battery terminal, leave it off for 5 minutes or so , put it back on and fire up the engine. The idle is normal and car seems fine for about 10-15 seconds. Then idle drops again to about 600rpm and i get a horrible shaking and throttle response.

Any more tips/ideas would be greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe so. He told me he didn't really cover anything but he didn't apply any high pressure to any parts and didnt spray directly on distributor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so, on a second look. I Took plugs out again and seen one was cracked, the upper plastic peice. I replaced those and now car starts and idles fine.

Drove for about 50km and now when im at a stop and i put it in park or neutral the idle surges to 2000rpm and stays there. Im sure in drive or reverse is doing the same but with my foot on the brake it's not doing much.

There is also a noticable ticking noise coming from the valve cover area. Only happens when in idle and goes away as soon as the rpms go above 1000. Sounds like a loose chain or lifter. I have no clue if these two issues are related. I imagine they are not.

The problems keep coming.. The car was running top notch before it was "cleaned" and now all the problems seem to happen at once.

SIGH*

·
Registered
951 Posts
so, on a second look. I Took plugs out again and seen one was cracked, the upper plastic peice. I replaced those and now car starts and idles fine.

Drove for about 50km and now when im at a stop and i put it in park or neutral the idle surges to 2000rpm and stays there. Im sure in drive or reverse is doing the same but with my foot on the brake it's not doing much.

There is also a noticable ticking noise coming from the valve cover area. Only happens when in idle and goes away as soon as the rpms go above 1000. Sounds like a loose chain or lifter. I have no clue if these two issues are related. I imagine they are not.

The problems keep coming.. The car was running top notch before it was "cleaned" and now all the problems seem to happen at once.

SIGH*
So it ended up being a cracked plug I suppose? I ruled that out since you said you replaced them just recently.

As for the high idle, check and make sure the IACV isn't stuck open and the hoses are on tightly. This happened to me after cleaning and going over a series of high speed bumps, if it's not stuck open, it could be failing, if you need a cheap replacement, go to a local scrap yard of or get one off eBay, I saw one for about 35$ last week.

My car has the slightest tick from under the valve cover at idle which sounds alot like a lifter, but that is what comes with 181K.

Glad you solved one issue.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah a cracked plug was what was causing the extemely rough idle. That rattle i was talking about only started happening with the rough idle/misfire was happening. The engine was shaking pretty bad and that sound has come up. The idle is fine now(other than it surging ) but the rattle sound is still there. Hmmm...

I'm most likely sure that it is the iacv that is causing the surging idle. I did take it out yesterday to clean and put back in. Maybe the hoses arent on tight enough or maybe the unit just shit the bed. I did spray it down with throttle body cleaner...is that a bad thing ?

Im probably just better off buying a new one and throwing it in. Im gonna have to re check the hoses aswell for cracks/leaks.

Jacob you mentioned to me in your PM something about air flow meter/sensor...do you think that could have been damage from putting a microfiber cloth down the throttle body to clean it. I didn't put much pressure just basically cleaned the outer surface. Would that cause the surging idle or would it definetly be the iacv.

the iacv it suppose to have a little flap that goes back and forth correct? So if that "flap" is open thats what would be causing the high idle? What if i take it out and see that the flap is normal position(little opening)....could it be something with the electrical in the part?

thanks soo much for all your help so far !!!

·
Registered
951 Posts
No, what you did with the air flow meter/sensor flap has nothing to do with the high idle, all it does is allow a certain amount of air through the intake and measure how far open the throttle is to allow more fuel to the injectors.

Yes, if you remove the top hose and do not see the flap stick a small screw driver or something down there and move it around in there, this happened to me and while doing it the flap just popped right back into position, then I sprayed just a little bit of WD-40 down there and worked the flap back and forth a few times, this issue has never returned since then. But do check the hoses first, go over the easier/simple fixes before you throw money/parts at it.

Since you used throttle body cleaner, I don't see why it would have hurt anything, the electronic components in there may be saturated a bit still and messing with some electrics inside the unit, or it could have been a coincidence that it packed up after you cleaned it, these little units are failing more commonly with age so I would not be surprised if it did.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JacobB. , you sir are my hero ! haha.

thanks soo much for everything from the pm's to posts on here. I know how it is when a new member joins a fourm and starts asking questions/advice from other members. Usually people aren't too fond of going out of their way to give some advice , especially to a member like me with nearly no posts.

I hope someone can look into this thread and see if they have had the same problems as me and can solve them by reading it. I understand there are other posts on how to do these things but it doesn't hurt.

Anyways now to the issues iv'e been having. Took the IAC off once again and just like you said. The thing was stuck. So again i cleaned it out , let it sit , wd-40'd it and gave it a good work in by moving the flap around. Seems to move nice and freely now. Put it back in and idle is PRIME ! Thanks again for all the tips and tricks.

To the other issue I mentioned about the "rattle" noise coming from front of engine. Iv'e taken a better look at things and it turned out to be the shock absorber/tensioner, part 28a in the W201 manual. It attaches from the alternator bracket to the belt drive.

Since I had the really rough idle due to spark plug misfire, the engine was shaking a lot and it tore the rubber boot on the inside of the absorber . That caused it to basically move around freely and make metal on metal contact. So glad that iv'e pin pointed this myself . Im acctually really proud of the work iv'e done all by myself since owning this vehicle. Ofcourse without the help of you guys i would be clueless !

Thanks again people :D

·
Registered
951 Posts
You are most welcome, I didn't mind helping at all.

I am glad to hear of your success.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the summary update! my '92 2.3 sounds about the same. Runs perfectly, but the idle sounds very unhappy. I just read through a number of the other threads regarding water in the intake and vacuum system, and now I have your efforts to add to my 'to-do' list, while I'm under the hood. Glad to see that you got it all sorted out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts