Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i have a m110 but i dont know much about these motors. what type of plugs should i use, im using NGk's right know but im having trouble getting her to start and idle. im thinking of putting bosh platinum 4s in it but not sure how it will respond to this. o and has anybody heard this engine run with just the exhaust manifolds? well ive had mine run for a couple seconds and this thing sounds like its underwater, it sounds very strange.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
o yea this car was a import form germany with the steering wheel on the left side like a domestic car in the states, it was specifically built to be brought to the states, remember this car wasnt available in 85 in the states only i believe germany and china. im not sure if this changes anything, but i thought id throw that out there

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
do not put platinum plugs in there. they are a waste of money
your engine should purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, not gurgle
have you pulled the plugs and inspected?
does it smoke?

after 15 years of sitting, its probably got shellacked fuel delivery parts all over the place.
drain the fuel tank. clean the strainer. replace the fuel filter. blow out the lines.
ensure you have proper resistor plug wires and non-resistor plugs.
how's the air filter?
did you change the oil?

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
They have left hand drive cars too although in 1985 I doubt you could get one into the mainland that wasn't smuggled though Hong Kong....where they have RHD cars. LHD would be quite a rarity.
yeah, I've been to china. I didn't see a single W123 while I was there [for a month]

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
get rid of those NGK's they're junk in the M110. Install a set of Bosch W7DC. Those are non-resistor type plugs, resistor plugs would be WR7DC. Resistor plugs will work but they will not offer all the HP the motor has in it.

I helped a friend get a old 78 280CE running a year or so ago. It idled like crap and would almost shut off at idle. It had newish NGK plugs in it, we swaped them out for some non-resistor Bosch plugs and it ran like a new car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is a left hand drive car and it was specifically built for my father, it has a plate stamped on the driver door with his name and address along with the vin# in my opinion i think this is a rare car, at least thats what ive been told by a number of people because u could only get this car up to 1981 in the states, i believe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts