Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to call my 1985 300d turbo lurch because it gives you wipe-lash when shipting from first to second gear. In my other 87 300sdl, this does not happen at all. The car was made for California emissions test and the engine is compleatly different from any other I have looked at. The exaust system is different, the turbo is different, everything, which means the transmition. Does this 'lurch' happen to anyone else with this model? I will take some pictures of the engine to give you all an idea of how different it looks to others I have looked at. Any reason why i would be doing this?

Also, i was informed by my mechanic that my a/c evaporator is broken which will be about 15 hours of labour to fix. Is this worth it because it will cost a good deal of money. The a/c also makes the car run rediculusly hot in trafic in the sumer time.

One more thing. This car is soooo much louder than my 300sdl. Partly i think it is because it is a 5 cyl in stead of 6, so that one is always off sync. Is my guess right?

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
300 D vs 300 SDL

You are correct about the noise level. The five cylinder is much busier and noisy. You should drive a 240 D to notice how much louder it is compared to the 300 D! The A/C problem could be expensive. I would plan on at least $1,000 if you get it repaired. I just went through this last summer. I put the climated control on "economy" at traffic lights which helps the cooling somewhat. Stopped in traffic the temp will climb.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to call my 1985 300d turbo lurch because it gives you wipe-lash when shipting from first to second gear. In my other 87 300sdl, this does not happen at all. The car was made for California emissions test and the engine is compleatly different from any other I have looked at. The exaust system is different, the turbo is different, everything, which means the transmition. Does this 'lurch' happen to anyone else with this model? I will take some pictures of the engine to give you all an idea of how different it looks to others I have looked at. Any reason why i would be doing this?
What about this part???

·
Registered
84 230CE & 84 300DT
324 Posts
You Rang?

I have the same California car with the same "lurch" problem that you talk ab...

You Rang?

I have the same California car with the same "lurch" problem that you talk about. You probably need to adjust the transmission modulator to eliminate the problem. I haven't gotten around to adjusting mine yet.
You can find a good article on how to make the adjustment at: http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ic/ic20242.htm
I simply don't accelerate too hard or I let off the accelerator a little just before the 1-2 shift.
Shop around to see if you can find someone who can fix your a/c problem, but fix your overheating problem first. My car's a/c works fine and doesn't run hot at stop lights or even up steep hills with the a/c on.
You might consider selling your car and buying another one with a good working a/c if a working a/c is that important. It's possible you won't spend as much money going that route unless your taxes and vehicle fees are too high.

·
Registered
1985 300D Turbo
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
0-60

what is the normal 0-60 time on this type of car? I would like to try it out before it go get things repaired.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.