Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to inform those like myself who trusted the Tire Rack on giving the correct answer; a Staggered AMG Monoblock 18x8 18x9 on a E430 4Matic is NO problem as long as you keep the tire dimensions the same or w/in 3% difference of each other. This has been verified by Mercedes Benz dealers and of course MBUSA and is offered on the 'Build Your Own' part of the site. Just amazes me the Tire Rack 'EXPERTS' didn't know this!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I agree!!! I have been given the same type of BAD advice. http://www.wheelexpert.com/index2.html<br> is much better on price and customer service!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Where or Who at TireRack says that staggered is not possible ?

I you call the Tire Rack and ask everyone including Luke, they say a staggered setup 18x9 rear and 18x8 front on a E430W4 would screw up the differential and AWD system! THIS IS NOT TRUE...and I expected them to do their research and at least call MBUSA to verify. What have you found Frank?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Luke and the guys at Tire Rack have great service and pricing...(more)

They may always play it safe, but 99% of the time they are right. I appreciate the vote of confidence, but try not to be so harsh on them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
let's examine this subject a little more ...

what will a staggered set-up do to your car<br> <br> #1.) increase the already massive amount of understeer<br> #2.) not allow for tire rotation creating more tire wear<br> #3.) create and tremendous amount of stress on the 4-matic system without exact diameter matching tires which is not that easy to accomplish.<br> #4.) the traction control and ABS are also very sensitive so there are possible problems there also<br> <br> Now, this is just a short look at this subject but in conclusion the staggered set-up would hurt the handling of the car, raise the operating cost, possibly hurt the 4-matic system, make tire shopping much more difficult, and possibly cause on-board computer problems with the ABS and traction control systems, but it will in some peoples opinion look a little better. Is it really worth it ? I don't think so that is why I will not recommend the staggered fitment on any 4-matic cars that do not use a viscous drive differential.<br> <br> [email protected]<br> <br> On a side note, I'm not sure but, the MBUSA site very likely does not differentiate between 4-matic and non-4-matic cars in their database when it considers options. I know many MB dealers and none of them will offer the staggered wheels for a 4-matic model.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: I can relate...

to both sides of the discussion! I happen to own an E430W4 and a 993 C4S that utilizes the viscous coupling technology. Clearly they are two different systems the 4-Matic (Torsion) and the C4S (viscous). You have to be careful in comparing the two because they are not the same. I will tell you this, you can stagger on an E430/320W4 but must go with the correct tire dimension as Luke suggested and that is suggested by MBUSA. I like this person (Greg) checked with MBUSA. Tire Rack does a GREAT JOB educating their customers and I will invariably recommend them to others and can respect their airing on the side of caution.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic; 2008 S550 4Matic; 2014 E63s
85 Posts
4matic Staggered Setup

Luke,

I think this answers the "why" part of my recently posted question.

Carrying the point a little further - does this mean the 4matic cars should always replace all 4 tires at the same time rather than in front/rear sets or, god forbid, in the case of a damaged tire - one at at time?

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
in the best case scenario it would be better to buy 4 at a time but it is not mandatory size the diameter difference would be less than 1%

1 - 10 of 10 Posts