Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mini Cooper S
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to an auto shop to try and install my rims. I got a set of 20 inches from ebay. However, it did not work because the OEM lug nuts didnt fit the holes on the wheels. Therefore, I need to know if anyone knows where I could buy the right nuts? I really need help on this. Thanks.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
First of all, if you could tell people what kind of lugs you need, that would help. Becau...

First of all, if you could tell people what kind of lugs you need, that would help. Because you're going to need to know what kind of lugs you need before you can buy the right ones.

If you don't know, that means you need to take a trip to a wheel shop.

If you do know, you might be able to get them from Discount Tire.

Tirerack is a great source for wheels and tires, but generally, their lugs for cone seat wheels are really bad. Discount Tire carries Gorilla lugs, which I have found to be very high quality (the hardened steel ones, don't get anything with chrome).

-s-

·
Registered
2006 Mini Cooper S
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks alot for the tip! I believe the wheels go with the ball seats lugs, however, i m ...

Thanks alot for the tip! I believe the wheels go with the ball seats lugs, however, i m not sure. Since I got the wheels from ebay, it didnt come with the original lugs. Do you know if theres anyway i could find out?

Anywayz, i had some feedbacks from another forum, and it seems like the chance of me getting these wheels on my truck is slim. They believe that the lugs for my wheels are smaller, therefore, they would not fit. Heres the link:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?threadid=67508&goto=newpost

let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Re:

Thanks alot for the tip! I believe the wheels go with the ball seats lugs, however, i m not sure. Since I got the wheels from ebay, it didnt come with the original lugs. Do you know if theres anyway i could find out?

Anywayz, i had some feedbacks from another forum, and it seems like the chance of me getting these wheels on my truck is slim. They believe that the lugs for my wheels are smaller, therefore, they would not fit. Heres the link:

http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/showthread.php3?threadid=67508&goto=newpost

let me know what you guys think. Thanks!
Well, you're not very clear in your original message... "the OEM lug nuts [sic] don't fit the holes in the wheels".

Where do the lugs (not nuts) get stuck? Can you describe it better? Do you have a picture? What kind of wheels did you get?

-s-

·
BenzWorld Tire & Wheel God
1,386 Posts
Re: First of all, if you could tell people what kind of lugs you need, that would help. Becau

Tirerack is a great source for wheels and tires, but generally, their lugs for cone seat wheels are really bad.

that's a pretty generalized statement which is absolutely false ...... we carry hardware from some of the largest suppliers to German car manufacturers in the world which, is very high quality ..... I agree with the no chrome hardware issue

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
Luke, write in the part you quoted, I wrote that it was a general statement. But...

Luke, right in the part you quoted, I wrote that it was a general statement. But...

Then how come the ones you send me always break? It doesn't matter whether I buy OZ wheels, or SSR wheels, or Mille Miglia wheels... I get the same lugs (of differing lengths). This is CONE SEAT lugs, remember.

I've had a set of wheels on my C43 for about ... oh, 12-14 months now. I have broken about 15 lugs so far on these wheels, and if I happen to be calling Luke for some tires or parts, I buy a few more lugs to stock for next time they break. I had this problem with my SL before too. I don't have this problem with Carlsson wheels that ship with ball seat lugs, because those ARE the higher quality lugs that you mention.

Do you single me out to get the defective ones? [:)]

On my ML, for my Tirerack-purchased wheels, I went to Discount Tire and bought some Gorilla lugs, which replaced those lugs and they have been perfect. I finally got wise and just ordered similar Gorilla lugs for my other cars with lug breakage problems. I suspect the problem will go away.

Yes, I torque my lugs with a torque wrench. Impact wrenches NEVER touch the lugs of my cars.

I think it would be really cool if Tirerack carried Gorilla brand lugs. I know this is a long shot, but it really is a high quality lug.

-s-

·
Registered
2006 Mini Cooper S
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re:

Well, you're not very clear in your original message... "the OEM lug nuts [sic] don't fit the holes in the wheels".

Where do the lugs (not nuts) get stuck? Can you describe it better? Do you have a picture? What kind of wheels did you get?

-s-
hey, i just took out one of my OEM nut, and try to see if the threaded area fit the back of my 20inches rims... and they do! so i suppose that the 20inches does use the 14mm nuts... the only thing i am not sure is that if its ball seat or cone seat.. so can anyone help me out? how can i find out whether the wheels need ball seat or cone seat nuts? thanks.

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
You're going to need more help than that. Go to a local wheel shop.

You're going to need more help than that. Go to a local wheel shop.

By the way, I got my Gorilla lugs for my wheels yesterday, and replaced all the lugs that I was constantly replacing from Tirerack... and found two more broken ones. [:(]

-s-

·
Registered
2006 Mini Cooper S
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
o damn, really? so you probably recommend the Gorilla ones right? Isnt it kinda dangerou...

o damn, really? so you probably recommend the Gorilla ones right? Isnt it kinda dangerous to have them keep on breaking? Anywayz, i still do not understand why the oem nuts dun work if it is true that the thread area is proportional to the seat area... would it be because they need conical seat nuts?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts