Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so went into the shop to get my flat taken care of and was told that they couldnt remove two of the bolts. even used a air gun any low cost ideas on how to get these bolts out ?

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,513 Posts
use the same air gun to tighten those same bolts. some times corrosion between the wheel and bolt will build up and cement them together as it were.
so if you have few that are tighter than usual, tighten them first. that sometimes breaks the "bond" between them.

also tightening the adjacent ones can loosen the strain on the recaltriant one, making it easier to remove.

you can also use a hammer and appropriate sized drift, and hit the bolt on the head. sometimes that also works to free them.

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,784 Posts
Use a hammer and whack the head of the lug bolts - you may need to use something if the lug bolts are recessed into the wheel. Give them a real solid whack - that may break the corrosion free. Old trick. If you get them out, use anti-sieze.

·
Registered
1988 300E, 2006 E350 wagon
278 Posts
@augapfel: I knew you were going to say that! :)
that photo kills me every time ....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had this happen on an old volkswagon once. If you can get a piece of pipe around five feet long, just use a breaker bar aka flexible head wrench with a socket. Put the wrench and socket on the stuck bolt and slide the pipe down the wrench and either pull or step on the pipe, it will break free even if it had been stuck for years. This was a wheel that also had the problem of an impact wrench not being able to break it free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone

@augapfel that made me shutter!!! A shop did that!? Yea I got the bolts off myself with just a tire iron. But now I am thinking of just getting new rims, any suggestions? By the way what’s the bolt pattern for an 86 300e??

·
Registered
85 300 TDT
2,260 Posts
I had this happen on an old volkswagon once. If you can get a piece of pipe around five feet long, just use a breaker bar aka flexible head wrench with a socket. Put the wrench and socket on the stuck bolt and slide the pipe down the wrench and either pull or step on the pipe, it will break free even if it had been stuck for years. This was a wheel that also had the problem of an impact wrench not being able to break it free.
Norton knows! Back in my VW van days I went to an exhaust shop and got a three foot section that I carried and used quite often. Never met a lug yet that could withstand the force applied with such a breaker bar. Bent quite a few wrenches though...

·
Registered
84 500SEL AMG, 90 560SEC AMG, 85 500SEC AMG Widebody
1,784 Posts
All MB wheels are 5x112 bolt pattern.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My garage followed this practice of extended leverage. Unfortunately the lug bolts on the M 240 have a 'neck' just under the bolt head - and they managed to snap the head off. So I am now left with one bolt with about 1" of round shaft left - but no head. The shaft is in the rim recess, so you can't get a wrench on it. The 'neck' failure was due to metal fatigue and showed no sign of torsion. I have a feeling that an external 'Ezyout' socket head which would grip a round shaft would do the trick, but does anyone make one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts