Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 s320 and 97 e320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting the really nice rims from my s320 onto my e320. My lug bolts for the s320 are 14x1.5 28mm conical, not ball. I see on RADs website the recommended R14 ball with a 12x1.5 thread but they don't have anything similar in a cone seat. Should I order the 12x1.5 in a 28mm, or maybe 26mm, and assume the cone will seat OK? Or should I not even think about putting these rims on because it wouldn't be safe? And yes I am aware that the tire size difference between the s320 and e320 will mess with my speedo...

·
Registered
1997 e320 2005 Harley 1200 custom
37 Posts
I am no expert. If it was me I'd call around to a few wheel and rim shops and see what they have to say, these guys have probably seen it all and would be able to tell you yea prolly no biggie or dont even think about it.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Why waste your time? IIRC you can't run those tire sizes on the 210 chassis, they will rub.

If you are willing to buy new tires, then call Phil at rad and ask him if the conical angles are the same for 12 & 14 mm bolts.

And, of course, check your offsets. The S is different than the E, and since those are aftermarket wheels, there is no telling what they are. Clearly the offset is compatible with the S chassis, whether it's too far off to work with the 210 is an unknown.

Good luck.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
Are you sure you have the right lug bolts for those wheels?
I bought a set of 18inch AMG wheels and they came with conical lug bolts. They aren't the right ones for the job.
here's an image of the conical bolt next to a correct domed one.
Note that the wear on the cone is concentrated in one small spot. - i.e. not seating to the wheel correctly.

If you wheels do take conical lug bolts you maybe able to change the bolt inserts.
As per this (came from wheel sticky)
Wheel Inserts

·
Registered
96 s320 and 97 e320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CheckCodes - If you look at the details of the conicals at Prestige they all show a 60 degree angle no matter what the bolt diameter is. I am assuming now that I looked closer at the diagrams that the top of the cone just below the 17mm head is the same diameter on all the bolts, just the physical length from top to bottom of the cone would be longer to get down to the 12mm width and shorter to the 14mm width. That's why I was thinking I would need slightly less thread like a 26mm instead of a 28mm.
IvanErrol - I am going to pull one of the bolts on my S to check what you have pointed out. I purchased the car with the rims already on and the owner told me they were factory installed, came with the car when purchased new by his mother-in-law. I certainly should be able to tell whether the seats are actually conical or ball just by inspecting them. Of course I will also look for the wear point in your example as well.

Thank you both for your input. BTW - I was going to check the fit and clearances before purchasing bolts anyway, by using (if I can) one set of bolts currently holding the wheels on my E to mount 1 wheel. Just waiting for the bolts I ordered to put the replacement wheels on my S before proceeding. I am putting back on my S the original standard factory rims and tires. Got them off craigslist yesterday. Will keep you posted on progress, probably Wednesday....

·
Registered
96 s320 and 97 e320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sunday morning update: Good call IvanErrol!! I have ball seat rims!!!! Your picture tickled my brain last night thinking I had seen that wear pattern when I pulled off a wheel. Sure enuff, I do have that wear on the lug bolts. I felt the seat and it does feel like a ball seat. Thanks for the tip. I know where to go from here.....
CheckCodes - I believe you when you say the tires will rub. I'll probably just sell the rim/tire set and get something else for my E. The rims are 6 double spoke aluminum with a Mercedes center cap and the tires all match at 255 35r20. From all the posts on tire questions here it's obvious they won't fit without rubbing, but they would look nice! Apparently the ride would suffer horribly though, not to mention the added stress to the suspension components.....

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
I just found nice rims for good price from SLK and their offset is 46mm vs ours 41.
I am pretty sure we do have 5 mm to spare between the tire and suspension, if not 5 mm spacer should not be big deal. If you don't know how to figure out the bolt lenght by now, I would send you to professionals.
Don't want to be blamed for wheels lost on the freeway, or destroy parking brakes.

·
Registered
96 s320 and 97 e320
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Katjek - I was just checking that clearance this morning. The tight spot is the vertical arm coming down from the top on the front wheels. With my standard wheels and rims there is just about enough room to slide my fingers up and down between that arm and the tire, probably just under 1/2". My thoughts to put my nice rims and tires on were completely snuffed out because that arm bends outward just above the current tire and there is a large nut on a stud holding the arm to something above which totally rules out a larger diameter rim/wheel combo. We definitely have to keep the same diameter as the original supplied within about 3/4" or less.
Even though I am not thrilled about my current stock rims because they were trashed by the previous owner (and I don't particularly like the style either) I am holding off on doing anything yet to replace them.
Please enlighten me on offset. Does the higher number offset move the inside edge of the rim away from or towards the inner wheel well? It seems from your comment on the SLK rims you found that it moves the inner edge towards the wheel well. I would think it would be the other way. Are the SLK rims wider than ours? Thanks....

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,707 Posts
The higher offset means the wheel goes more under the car and is bigger problem than smaller offset, where I have seen some minorities driving Nissan with tires sticking 10" out of the fenders ;)
1/2" = 12.5 mm, so wheel going in 5 mm more still should have 7 mm clearance.
The truth is that nominal tire sizes have pretty big tolerance and when one tire might fit just fine, the other might rub.
There is only 1 way to check it for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts