Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Does anyone have an extra set (20) of lug bolts for early (460 401 00 02) alloy wheels that they would like to sell? I have bolts for the steel wheels and they are too short. From Harald's wheel site (thank you Harald) the best choice seems to be the 69mm bolts.

Alternatively, if anybody knows a good source for the bolts at a reasonable price, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Not sure Bruce, but 69mm sounds way too long even for the alloys. Make sure of the size you need, then you might find something that will work here:
http://www.ezaccessory.com/

Myself, I'm looking for some ball-seat lug NUTS in the G thread size to use with the stud kit I got from Q.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave - A question?

Hipine - 4/16/2005 10:14 PM

Not sure Bruce, but 69mm sounds way too long even for the alloys. Make sure of the size you need, then you might find something that will work here:
http://www.ezaccessory.com/

Myself, I'm looking for some ball-seat lug NUTS in the G thread size to use with the stud kit I got from Q.

-Dave G.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the help. I had found the second site you referenced but it only showed bolts with M14x1.50 thread. The first site you referenced shows the same thing. I was told by the fellow that I got the wheels from that the G bolt were M14x1.25 with ball seat. I'm wondering now about the 1.50 versus 1.25. Do you know which is the correct spec? If its the M14x1.25 they seem to be hard to come by. If its the M14x1.5 with ball seat, then either of the sites you referred me to have them. The first site seem to be alot cheaper!

Whatever the thread spec is would probably be the spec for the lug nuts for the studs you got from Q too.

The 69mm is from Harald's site and is the overall length. I think I need about 50mm of thread length. My bolts for the steel wheels are about 1and1/4 inches of thread (about 30-32mm and the alloys are about 5/8" thicker than the steelies so I'm judging about 2" of thread length would be about right.

If you dont know the spec for the thread either, I'll take one of my lug bolts to the hardware store next week and find a nut that fits. The bin that it comes out of should tell me the thread an pitch.

Bruce

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
RE: Dave - A question?

Bruce,

I have my site up so you don't have to speculate. It says M14x1.5
http://rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/bolts.html

Chuck's stud conversion kit is M14x1.5 as well
http://www.wehenrys.com/gk/

You would only see M14x1.25 somewhere in the engine assembly not likely on wheels. However, the suspension bolts (panhard etc) have a 1.25 pitch

Harald

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, again.....

Dave,

After writing the first note, I searched my junk box and found what I am 99% sure is a M12x1.5 bolt. I took one of my present lug bolts and matched it up for thread pitch. Appears the same, so I'm reasonably certain that the bolts (and hence the nuts you would need) are indeed M14x1.5 That corrects the information I was given and makes the search easier. The site you referenced has those for $1.69 each ... in a 45mm thread length that should work fine....very reasonable.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/.sc/ms/dd/1113712634199806/9/nc/Lug%20Bolts/147/Lug%20Bolt%2014mmx1%2E50%20Ball%20Seat%2045mm%20Shank

Looks like the same source has lug nuts with 14x1.5 thread, but its not clear if they are a ball type seat.

Does all this sound right to you?

Thanks, Dave

Bruce

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
RE: Dave, again.....

Pretty sure Harald has it right.

I was going to do a tire rotation today (it's due) and had intended to check the lug bolts then. But I got busy tidying up the 617A and chainging oil in the van, and decided I'd do the tire rotation after I pick the stud kit up from Q and do the whole thing at once.

But, just going from memory, I'd guess that the thread is more like a 1.5mm pitch. 1.25 seems too fine for wheel lugs.

Ball seat lug nuts are even more difficult to find than ball seat lug bolts. But a buddy of mine is a Porshe racer and I'm sure he has a spares pile I can raid. They're one of the few I know that use a ball seat lug nut. Just have ot make sure to get steelies and not the aluminum ones they like.

Good luck!

-Dave

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
RE: Dave, again.....

Bruce, I pulled one out of my truck and measured it: 14mm 1.5 pitch and 45mm thread length. Harald's the man. Or Harald and Dave are the "men". Let us know about your bolts when you get them. The stockers heads are corroding and rusting. They work well but look a little skanky. I tried painting them...Ok until I actually removed and replaced them again.

-Dai

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are the bolts and sources - thanks guys!

Dai - 4/17/2005 9:45 PM

Bruce, I pulled one out of my truck and measured it: 14mm 1.5 pitch and 45mm thread length. Harald's the man. Or Harald and Dave are the "men". Let us know about your bolts when you get them. The stockers heads are corroding and rusting. They work well but look a little skanky. I tried painting them...Ok until I actually removed and replaced them again.

-Dai
Dai, Harald, Dave,

Thanks a million guys! Dai, I had one out to take to the hardware store to match up. You guys saved me the effort.

Based on Daves earlier links here are some choices.
This one is $1.69 each for chrome 45mm shank, 66mm overall. They also list the length for the stock steel wheels.

http://www.ezaccessory.com/.sc/ms/dd/1113798001029855/9/nc/Lug%20Bolts/147/Lug%20Bolt%2014mmx1%2E50%20Ball%20Seat%2045mm%20Shank

This site has chrome, 44mm shank and 84mm overall (longer head) $7.99 each. They also have "dacromet" coated instead of chrome, 44mm shank 64mm overall for $6.59 each.

http://www.prestigewheel.com/mainBolts.htm

Unless one of you guys can see why I should not chose the $1.69 version, I think I'll order 20 or so of them. I am curious why they can sell them so much cheaper than anybody else (including MB), maybe made in China? Since I will still be using my stock 16" steel wheels for most of my wheeling, the alloys and the new lug bolt probably wont see much rough treatment. These guys also list them on ebay. They seem to go for $29.99 for 20 via ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7967656814&category=33749&sspagename=WDVW

Look under seller's other stuff for current aucitons of same stuff.

Harald - As I referred to in my orig note, I did look at your stuff, just the wrong place! I referenced

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/start.html

but didnt follow enough of your great links. Thanks!!!

Thanks guys for all the help. Spending $150 for a set of lug bolts was giving me heartburn!

Dave, Let me know if I can search in Phx for you. There is a Porsche junkyard there.

Bruce

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
RE: Here are the bolts and sources - thanks guys!

According to the folks at prestige, the mercedes spec bolts are dacromet coated because it is supposed to provide more corrosion resistence than chrome.

At prestige wheel i also noticed that you can buy a full set of wheel locks (like wheel locks for every single bolt) for less than the standard hex bolts. There response was that they're cheaper because they aren't made as well. Who knows though.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
In looking at the options it might be a good idea to try ordering one of the bolts and checking it's fit. On my alloys the fit is very tight and the stock bolts are all thread to the taper. I don't know if the style that is not all thread will work on my wheels. The more expensive bolts with the plating options are all thread and might be like the stock bolts. 19mm hex head as well. They might fit your wheels though. When I bought the wheel installation tool from Chuck the first version he made didn't fit my truck's wheels. He said it worked on the steel wheels and on the alloys he tried. He turned it down on a lathe and it worked fine. There are variations in the hole sizes and my concern is those less expensive shouldered bolts might not work! Kinda makes you crazy doesn't it?

-Dai

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dai - 4/17/2005 11:52 PM

In looking at the options it might be a good idea to try ordering one of the bolts and checking it's fit. On my alloys the fit is very tight and the stock bolts are all thread to the taper. I don't know if the style that is not all thread will work on my wheels. The more expensive bolts with the plating options are all thread and might be like the stock bolts. 19mm hex head as well. They might fit your wheels though. When I bought the wheel installation tool from Chuck the first version he made didn't fit my truck's wheels. He said it worked on the steel wheels and on the alloys he tried. He turned it down on a lathe and it worked fine. There are variations in the hole sizes and my concern is those less expensive shouldered bolts might not work! Kinda makes you crazy doesn't it?

-Dai
Dai,

Boy, that is the truth! Did you look at Harald's page on bolts? His show bolts with shoulders for the alloys.

http://rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/bolts.html

I think I'll email the guys with the "cheapies" and see what they say. I know that frequently you get what you pay for, but $7 for a bolt just seems high. On the other hand $1.69 may be too low to be real!

I live in AZ where corrosion is not a problem. No salt on the roads. Very little rain. Things just dont rust or corrode.

I do see that the guys with the cheap bolts have a 99.9% positive rating on ebay with 3400+ sales so I guess their stuff cant be all bad.

Bruce

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
WHERE to get them wasn't the problem. :^)

$6-$11 per nut IS a problem. [;)]

Luckily I have no shortage of Porsche club racing buddies who can get me the right stuff for a fraction of the price.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I wanted to bring this one back from the dead to see if anyone had success with the $1.69 lug bolts on alloys?

Concerning lug nuts:

Dave, if you still need the ball seat lug nuts, the Pinzgauer uses the same ones.

You can go to any good automotive supplier and order them. NAPA even has them for around $3 each.

The ones we buy are from a company called Dorman and we get them from a large tire/wheel wholesaler for around $2 each. http://www.dormanproducts.com
Part number 611-067 M14-1.5 X 19MM HEX BLACK

-Sean P.

·
Registered
300GD LWB 1985, 300GD LWB 1988
73 Posts
Sean,

I have the $1.69 wheel bolts fitted (albeit on BBS alloys) and have no problem with them. Can't say how well the chrome will hold up. It is early days really and our climate down under is fairly mild but so far no issues.

John

·
Registered
200D, 300TD, 230GE
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EuroTruck - 11/11/2005 10:41 AM

I wanted to bring this one back from the dead to see if anyone had success with the $1.69 lug bolts on alloys?

Concerning lug nuts:

Dave, if you still need the ball seat lug nuts, the Pinzgauer uses the same ones.

You can go to any good automotive supplier and order them. NAPA even has them for around $3 each.

The ones we buy are from a company called Dorman and we get them from a large tire/wheel wholesaler for around $2 each. http://www.dormanproducts.com
Part number 611-067 M14-1.5 X 19MM HEX BLACK

-Sean P.
Sean,

I bought them and "made" them work. They were of two different types. The QC was poor and some (most) were not threaded enough of the shank. I wound up buying a die and threading them enough. Unless someone is willing to "fix" them, I cant recommend them and the customer service as not good.

Bruce

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
i would be a little nervous about cutting threads on the bolts becuase i think usually for structural bolts such as these, the threads are rolled in by essentially forging the threads shape. Cutting them will make the functioning threads weaker and more likely to be the start tiny little cracks... on their way to fail. I don't know all the details, but i do know there are some pretty critical differences between cut vs. rolled threads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts