Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 CLK 320 that, after a all around tire change, had a wheel with 3 broken off lugs. I got them out and want to replace all of them because I have a feeling they were either way over torqued or something else.

In my reading I have seen they discontinued certain lugs and there a re better ones out there.

My question is what/where should I get? I have 2 sizes, one for the spare which is 5CM and the ones that were one that are ~4.5CM. I *assume* the thread size etc is pretty standard for the hub but a cursory search showed wildly varying results. I *think* my current bolts are ~4.5 CM because the wheels are not stock.

Side note, what the heck would cause 3 lugs to sheer off like that? (yea I "saved" some money by going to a "guy".

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,845 Posts
I had this happen several times at NTB, so I stopped using them. Basically, they use a pneumatic wrench and just crank down on it without regard to proper torque settings. The bolts are about $5 each. AFAIK, they are standard sizes across most all modern MBZ's, but the steel rim spare uses a shorter bolt. But since you have aftermarket wheels, yours may vary in size.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts