Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've commited a Mercedes sin of using an additive- this time for coolant. Dumped a bottle into reservoir of my 300d turbo and found operating temp to be 10-15 F lower than usual. Driving in New Jersey this summer, my temps have gone beyond 110c and around 115c when driving over 80mph, incline and weather temp close or over 100f. My radiator looks like its the original Behr unit so possibly compromised but never had overheating.
To delay innevitable replacement of the Behr unit, I tried this product and found this benefit. Could this be a real product that does what it claims? Could there be issue for me down the road such as winter conditions or prolonged use with this additive?

·
Registered
2001 Volvo V40
2,954 Posts
It probably increases the cooling capacity of the coolant a little bit. It does nothing to solve the causes of your cooling problem.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It probably increases the cooling capacity of the coolant a little bit. It does nothing to solve the causes of your cooling problem.
Thanks for your feedback. Looking to hear any negatives such as affecting seals, water pump seizing, etc. Will change T-stat, flush coolant, etc this winter and if that still fails to improve will replace radiator next Spring as Winters are not an issue.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucas Coolant Additive - 2 years and 20k miles later

Car temp never went above 100c this summer and last year. I do long drives as well with speeds over 80mph for stretches and convinced this additive works. I would assume therefore i had no or limited blockages in my radiator, just needed better cooling efficiency. Considering i was going to get a new radiator at the start of this post, Im happy this $9 investment worked out. Just delaying thr innevitable, but helps pay bills for the other cars.

·
Registered
1983 300 TD
97 Posts
In the past, I've used Redland Water - wetter and had good experiences (w/VWs). It lowered the temp about 5c. All these additional especially do is decrease nucleate.boiling, IE the hot spots in the cooling system. When using water, there is always a spot where the coolant boils. These additives diminish these hotspots.

Here soon, I plan to flush my system and use a cheap version of Evans coolant.

·
Registered
1983 300 TD
97 Posts
A good friend and I discovered this stuff about 10 years ago for use with our VWs. I was amazed at how much it helped my low-cost compression 1.8li GTI. Max advance before Evans was like 36*? With it, it bumped up to 52 w/o ping. And it drove like a rocketship.

Codepony, we have since learned that Evans is nothing more than repackaged DOT 3. They add some additives, like 2-3% is proprietary, but most of it is nothing but DOT 3. 20 bucks a gallon is So much better than 50.

·
Registered
1979 240D
949 Posts
A good friend and I discovered this stuff about 10 years ago for use with our VWs. I was amazed at how much it helped my low-cost compression 1.8li GTI. Max advance before Evans was like 36*? With it, it bumped up to 52 w/o ping. And it drove like a rocketship.

Codepony, we have since learned that Evans is nothing more than repackaged DOT 3. They add some additives, like 2-3% is proprietary, but most of it is nothing but DOT 3. 20 bucks a gallon is So much better than 50.
Very good to know, thanks for the tip! Any idea what the 3% is?

·
Registered
1983 300 TD
97 Posts
I know it has to do with the smell, which is sweet, and the coloration which turns a caramel after a bit.of use. Don't know beyond that. They are Both bad for paint, but...

·
Registered
1979 240D
949 Posts
I know it has to do with the smell, which is sweet, and the coloration which turns a caramel after a bit.of use. Don't know beyond that. They are Both bad for paint, but...
I'll be giving this a try then. The only thing holding me back was the price.

·
Registered
1983 300 TD
97 Posts
Be sure to be to look for someone who has done the purge on your car type, purging the water in the system since it runs hotter can be a little suprising/dangerous... The water.that you can't get out of the system gets trapped and boils, causing steam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts