Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Lucas oil products

2338 Views 10 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  MtL-BenzZ
[?]I recently bought an '86 190E, 2.3-8valve with 147,000 miles. I'm curious about adding Lucas treatments to the oil, tranny, and p/s unit. Any testimonials (pro or con)? I've read only good things about Lucas products, so I'm wondering if it's worth it? Thanks Gang!!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
Mercedes 28E 1993 (W124)
119 Posts
oil additives are evil :D

I cant vouch for lucus products but i used simular oil treatments in my old 230e which i just sold, 2000km down the track after adding it, it started blowing blue smoke, losing power.

No proof but ill leave u to decide....

Youd be better off to buy an expensive oil rather than useing additives....

Id recommend 10 w 40 (i think) castrol magnatec....

· Registered
00 S500,99 4wgn,87TD
577 Posts
I think clean ,quality oils require nothing. The big companies go through enough R&D to ...

I think clean ,quality oils require nothing. The big companies go through enough R&D to just have you go and add something foreign to their "chemistry creation", only to possibly "create" a bad thing from the periodic table. Believe it or not, by switching oils through the life of the engine, chemical reactions take place, sometimes reeking havoc. Because they all have their own formula,(this is why they are called formulas),stick with one brand you are happy with...........

· Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango, 21 GCL, 20 X7
5,042 Posts
The only issue I had is when I added Lucas transmission treatment then the transmission started to act bad due to the filter was clogged with the snack oil. No more additives for me again.

· Registered
96 E-320, 91 190E, various and sundry Euro and American vehicles
12,141 Posts
Don't mess with your chosen oils chemistry.
It is not designed to be polluted with other additives.
If your oil is inadequate choose a good brand, but don't mix stuff. You are not a chemist.
I use Castrol, and as the engines get older (over 150k mi) I go from 10-30, and up it to 10-40 at first sign of a blue puff. So far this 190e has not needed the upgrade at 175k.mi.
And late in life kick it up to 20-50w . Usually that is not necessary till over 250k mi.
Again, wait for the blue puff.
I routinely run cars up around 300k mi, unless repair costs overshoot car value.

Never had a failure due to oil and ran numerous cars over 300k.mi... so why mess with it?

Aardvark

· Registered
2,042 Posts
Ya i don't see why you should use additives until you start seeing complications with those units. I've used their stop squeal power steering fluid. It did stop squeals for around 2 months as my ps went out. Not completely sure how well it worked compared to just new ps fluid since the old fluid looked like 10 years old.

· Registered
Mercedes Benz 190e 2.6
146 Posts
ive used this lucas oil stabilizer on my 190, IMO seems like amazing stuff:

i know experienced racers that swear by this stuff but they exclusively drive japanese and american muscle. The 190e seems to be picky with what additives it can take, just ask the guys who tried royal purple coolant additive lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.