Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been meaning to do this for some time.

Places to use Krytox for a quiet roof - pay special attention to butt joint areas and any rubber buffers.

EDIT -- Other members have chipped in with the following lubricants which are much cheaper than Krytox!
Dow Corning 111 valve lubricant and sealant
Honda Shin Etsu silicone grease

The lubricants pictured are a bit of overkill - could also add some of the white marine grease that can be handy !!!

Welcome any additional lube points discovered!!!

Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
PROUD OWNER! 2002 slk32 AMG
1,505 Posts
2 questions. foto of the grease so i know im getting the rite 1
next question is i have a small scuff mark on both sides of the b pillar. seems to hitting the plastic sides of the trunk when roof is folded. any way to correct this?

·
Registered
2012 SLK350
398 Posts
Thanks for the detail! I see a couple that I missed. I'll get the rest if the temp ever climbs above freezing.:(

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2 questions. foto of the grease so i know im getting the rite 1
QUOTE]

Q1 - Pic of grease on first post now

Q2 - pillar rub? - common and fixable - yet to do mine tho.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
how is it fixed? i have seen felt and heat applied to the plastic panel. would rather correct it by some form of adj.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550, 2012 C300
573 Posts
Hey Oberoi,

I read a recent thread where you recommended the Krytox for keeping the roof quiet. So I went to the Grainger Catalog and purchased a 2 or 4 oz. tube of the Krytox PTFE “O” ring lubricant.

Holly cow that tube ran $50.00! Who cares right? Anyway I applied it in all the locations you indicate this weekend while I had the roof semi closed. I also took the time to honestly clean that back window, what a pain.

Good tip. That Krytox lube should stay wet and prevent squeaks. Krytox is sort of hard to smooth around. Hey if it keeps “O” rings sealed and guaranteed not to degenerate that rubber so the better.

Thanks very much,
Zill.

PS. The Alan Vipond Tautflex is very a very nice product. Easy to apply, very forgiving and a perfect match. Thanks for that tip and ordering help!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
how is it fixed? i have seen felt and heat applied to the plastic panel. would rather correct it by some form of adj.
I agree - but seem to remember that one of the fixes for 'pillar rub' was to carve a bit of the plastic away -- I have a small spot on the LH pillar and put some clear tape about the size of a match head on it 2 yrs ago to prevent more wear and it's still there!!

Here's the TSB of some yrs ago http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/r170-slk-class/28100-c-piller-chafing-26_1322435_10122004120155am.gif

Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Oberoi,

I also took the time to honestly clean that back window, what a pain.

PS. The Alan Vipond Tautflex is very a very nice product. Easy to apply, very forgiving and a perfect match. Thanks for that tip and ordering help!
Thanks Zill - nice to be appreciated - the inside of the back window can be easily cleaned when the roof is fully down by access from the trunk(retract blind) - only thing to watch out for is knocking the 2 blocks off the window.

Bruce

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're talking to a techno/neanderthal on this stuff!!

I'm using Windows XP (home) and the programme is 'paint'

After an automatic update from MS about 3 mths ago my pics suddenly lost the adobe photoshop facility and got the 'paint' link on each photo. - easy to navigate

I'll put some pics on if they'll help

Bruce

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
This is a great guide and well put together, this needs to go in the sticky info bit :thumbsup:

32 the rubbing thing I have also, I have been told some stick some felt on the plastic or heat it up with a hot air gun and apply some pressure to blend it in somewhat, I am going to get a heat gun on mine soon Ill tell you how it go's.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
pap i also found those fixes but they seem to be less than desirable to me. ie: the plastic rebounding over time the felt rubbing on the b pillars. what i am trying to find is the proper way to adjust this issue and resolve it once and fo all

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
It was a MB fitter that told me the heat gun thing, its only 1mm in it so he said.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
im told it can be done with an ordinary hair dryer but i beleive the plastic will return to original shape over time. let me know how it goes. you would think there would be an adjustment for this. it rubs on both sides of my car

·
Registered
11 Posts
You will never know just how many people this post has helped! I for one am VERY appreciative that you took the time to put this detail together.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I open it today at midpoint with the engine running, immediately it self shut itself to the close position when I switched off the engine. I started the engine through out to ensure it does not topple over during the cleaning and greasing operation. This is the best bet albeit not good for the carbon footprint.:D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts