Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
C63 AMG
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expecting delivery of my C63 in a weeks time.
My understanding is that it does not come standard with a LSD (limited slip diff).
The sales person said because of all the electronic measures like ESP? etc it doesn't really need one.
My mechanic on the other hand is somewhat dismayed that such a high performance car doesn't come with it fitted as a standard. He states the electronic measures are a poorer way of trying to achieve the same result.

What are your opinions? I do not intend racing the car and i do not have a very heavy foot, not yet anyway. Is it safer to add one on and what cost would i be looking at?

LAKA

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am expecting delivery of my C63 in a weeks time.
My understanding is that it does not come standard with a LSD (limited slip diff).
The sales person said because of all the electronic measures like ESP? etc it doesn't really need one.
My mechanic on the other hand is somewhat dismayed that such a high performance car doesn't come with it fitted as a standard. He states the electronic measures are a poorer way of trying to achieve the same result.

What are your opinions? I do not intend racing the car and i do not have a very heavy foot, not yet anyway. Is it safer to add one on and what cost would i be looking at?

LAKA
As usual, the sales person is ill-informed. The LSD came with the P30 performance package prior to my2010. For my2010> the performance package was P31 which came with an additional 30hp but no LSD (both packages included upgraded suspension and brakes). The LSD could be ordered as an additional stand alone option. The LSD is a major positive if you're going to track the car. The ESP (electronic nannies) just helps keep you from getting into trouble, but does not "replace" the LSD. It will cut power it if detects a slipping rear wheel. An LSD will tranfer power to the non-slipping wheel keeping forward momentum. Were the ESP does help if you start to get sideways, it will reduce power and apply the brakes to one or more wheels to correct over or understeer. You'll know when it happens as you usually feel the abs going off on just one wheel. You can set the car to Sport ESP to keep it from being too annoying (or turn it off if you're comfortable with some back end slide). The cost to add LSD is prohibitive and will void your entire drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
2004 C230 Sport Sedan, 2005 C240 Wagon
39 Posts
Wrong, wrong, and wrong again.

First, the P31 does not include any changes to the suspension. The P30 suspension was criticized for being too harsh due to stiffer and (slightly) shorter springs, so the P31 omits this change.

Second, the cost of a decent LSD is not prohibitive. The Quaife unit is less than $2,000, and you can have the dealer install it for less than $1,000. So, $3,000 all in. Very reasonable, esp. relative to the cost of the vehicle. And I believe that you can get the factory OEM unit for not much more (your dealer can install it). You can spend a lot more on an LSD if you want -- the clutch-type OS Giken unit is fantastic and is used by many Porsche racers -- but the gear-type Quaife and OEM units are both excellent.

Lastly, installing an LSD will, in no way, void any warranty on the vehicle. That would imply that the car cannot handle an LSD, but the fact that the factory will install one for you contradicts that. In fact, I have an aftermarket LSD installed by the dealer (an AMG Performance Center) and have been assured that there is no warranty issue at all.

To the OP, I would recommend installing an LSD, but I certainly wouldn't say that it is required. In fact, while the electronic nannies do not make up for the lack of an LSD, they actually do a pretty good job. If you aren't tracking your car or driving it like you stole it, I think you can pass on it. If you are a spirited driver, though, it will make a difference in putting the power down, esp. in corners and in the rain.

·
Registered
C63 AMG
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
My dealer said that out of 100 C63's, only 4-5 will request the LSD at a cost of $9000! (Australia). Unless i race the car he says it's a waste of money.
I certainly cannot justify it for that cost but i will speak to Brabus, an AMG performance workshop to discuss if an aftermarket LSD will void the warranty(the dealer says it will)and if i can get it cheaper.

LAKA

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
My dealer said that out of 100 C63's, only 4-5 will request the LSD at a cost of $9000! (Australia). Unless i race the car he says it's a waste of money.
I certainly cannot justify it for that cost but i will speak to Brabus, an AMG performance workshop to discuss if an aftermarket LSD will void the warranty(the dealer says it will)and if i can get it cheaper.

LAKA
Your dealer is wrong again. There are many C63 owners that never race their cars yet benefit greatly from having a lsd. Ever make a turn and push the gas pedal a little too much and have your traction like blink out of control? Ever drive in most or wet roads? Both those examples are reasons to get a LSD. I'm having a Quaife installed in my car just to stop my dashboard from blinking like a christmas tree. If you're serious about the LSD, there is a Group buy going on at the other forum for the lsd and the install kit for 1200. That's just my 2cents.

·
Registered
2004 E500 Wagon, 2004 E55 AMG
1,327 Posts
OS Giken is the best LSD available, Renntech uses it for all their high HP cars!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts