Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of yall done or seen an LS swap in an W210? I'm thinking of starting an ls swap on my 2000 E320 and wanted to know if yall have any advice or recommendations on how to get this done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is it’s cheaper and quicker to buy an E55.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
But I could buy all the parts needed for the swap for less than that. Also the swap would be much more reliable than a 55 with that high mileage not to mention cheaper to maintain.

·
Registered
2005 E320 wagon
2,538 Posts
You’re underestimating the value of your time :)

You’ll need a front sump pan for the LS.

I can’t imagine how you can use the key for the LS starter with EIS in the way but you can add a separate starter switch. I don’t know if the fuel pump will flow enough for an LS but at least the pump isn’t in the tank. Is the LS throttle by wire?

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You’re underestimating the value of your time :)

I can’t imagine how you can use the key for the LS starter with EIS in the way but you can add a separate starter switch. I don’t know if the fuel pump will flow enough for an LS but at least the pump isn’t in the tank. Is the LS throttle by wire?

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
I know the value of my time and I know how expensive maintaining a high
134k is high mileage?

lol bruh
I've already had to drop in a new alternator into my e class at 137k. I don't want to deal with the exorbitant prices of Mercedes parts. I can buy everything needed for the swap for the price of that E55 without the fear of paying way too much for parts

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG. 2011 BMW 335d
7,968 Posts
Not sure where you live, the parts for MB are dirt cheap if you know where to shop. Plus M113 is one of the most reliable engines MB ever made, right up with the M119 and OM606 of the older days. I would very happily challenge any LS series engines with a M113 in reliability contest.

My E55 has 270k. Alternator for E55 is the same part number as the E430 or E320. Same with intake manifold, or any other common parts.....and those can be had cheaper than the LS. Plus there's like dozen of MB models with the same M112/M113 engines made well into 2006 or 2007, and there are millions of them. My local junkyard is full of those cars.

Also you can buy a voltage regulator for just about any MB alternator straight from the dealer. $90 or so, cheaper online.

But ok, you do you. Not sure what you're gonna do about the ignition, or the electronics, or the transmission. Or the exhaust.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure where you live, the parts for MB are dirt cheap if you know where to shop. Plus M113 is one of the most reliable engines MB ever made, right up with the M119 and OM606 of the older days. I would very happily challenge any LS series engines with a M113 in reliability contest.

My E55 has 270k. Alternator for E55 is the same part number as the E430 or E320. Same with intake manifold, or any other common parts.....and those can be had cheaper than the LS. Plus there's like dozen of MB models with the same M112/M113 engines made well into 2006 or 2007, and there are millions of them. My local junkyard is full of those cars.

Also you can buy a voltage regulator for just about any MB alternator straight from the dealer. $90 or so, cheaper online.

But ok, you do you. Not sure what you're gonna do about the ignition, or the electronics, or the transmission. Or the exhaust.
I'd rather not have to "know where to buy parts when I can go to a NAPA or Autozone and get Chevy parts for cheap. I've already had to replace my alternator on my E320 and that was at 135k miles or so. Mercedes has never screamed reliability or low maintenance costs ever for me. On the question of wiring I am working with a shop that works with the ls in different platforms all the time. All of us have agreed that the most cost effective option is an LS as it is way more reliable and cheaper to maintain than a E55 motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Also the trans tunnel is

On the topic of trans and electronics there is an LS Wiring harness for swaps into a Mercedes. I can buy a motor with a 4l60e for dirt cheap or go and pull one out of a salvage yard for even less. The trans tunnel is big enough to fit the 4l60e. This forum is literally full of people who instead of helping would rather tell me what I should do or what MB motor I should put in instead.

·
Registered
2005 E320 wagon
2,538 Posts
This forum is also includes people like me who drive a 210 because it’s more reliable and costs me less to keep on the road than any Chevy I’ve owned (‘78 Impala 305, ‘97 Suburban 6.5td). I don’t hate Chevys, I just enjoy driving my E320 more and it’s the one I’d choose to drive cross country at this moment. That and my Chevys are long gone.

Consider your question from the perspective of the forum. It can come across as “I want to put a better engine in my car than the turd MB put in at the factory.” You didn’t say that, but that’s how it sounds to some. This forum is about keeping these cars intact. You walked into a steakhouse and asked for tofu :)

I wouldn’t take on the project myself but if you lived next door to me, I’d come over to turn wrenches with you and pore over wiring diagrams.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles

·
Registered
2002 E320
53 Posts
My reaction same as tabijan. Recently helped a friend get his ML320 back on the road and am currently doing the same with an E420. I grew up during the era when GM, Ford, and Plymouth ruled with their large displacement V8's. Still have a Chevy in the garage (my wife likes to drive) but the E320 gets all the serious trips on the Interstate. I will admit I have not been into a GM V8 in the past 10 years, nor do I intend to, but have found the quality and performance of the Mercedes V8's to be impressive. The W124 and W210 stock sedans can turn some surprising numbers on the road or track with a M119 or M113 V8. As tabijan so well stated, we wish you well with the project but most of us take pride in keeping something running like it did the day it rolled out of the factory.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have any of yall done or seen an LS swap in an W210? I'm thinking of starting an ls swap on my 2000 E320 and wanted to know if yall have any advice or recommendations on how to get this done.
I think an LS swap would be a great engine to put in the w210 if you have the right reasons and are willing to sacrifice some amenities. What are you expecting to get out of it? A high horsepower car with TONS of aftermarket support or a reliable daily driver? If you happen to want a simple daily I’d recommend an e55 as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This forum is also includes people like me who drive a 210 because it’s more reliable and costs me less to keep on the road than any Chevy I’ve owned (‘78 Impala 305, ‘97 Suburban 6.5td). I don’t hate Chevys, I just enjoy driving my E320 more and it’s the one I’d choose to drive cross country at this moment. That and my Chevys are long gone.

Consider your question from the perspective of the forum. It can come across as “I want to put a better engine in my car than the turd MB put in at the factory.” You didn’t say that, but that’s how it sounds to some. This forum is about keeping these cars intact. You walked into a steakhouse and asked for tofu :)

I wouldn’t take on the project myself but if you lived next door to me, I’d come over to turn wrenches with you and pore over wiring diagrams.

Sixto
98 E320 wagon 197K miles
The whole point of this build is to make my E320 into a good base for more and more power. I've replaced the E320 with another car as my daily so I want to have fun with my E class. I love the car but it severely lacks power and response. That as well as how much parts for Mercedes cost leads me to want to put an ls because I know that if I want more power down the road it would be easier and cheaper to get
I think an LS swap would be a great engine to put in the w210 if you have the right reasons and are willing to sacrifice some amenities. What are you expecting to get out of it? A high horsepower car with TONS of aftermarket support or a reliable daily driver? If you happen to want a simple daily I’d recommend an e55 as well.
I have a daily driver already so I want something that i can reliably make more power out of if i need it to. My e class already has no AC as needs other work so making it a high hp project is the most fun i can have

·
Registered
Way too many to list, yes I horde MBs
97 Posts
I guess I do not get where you come up with MB parts are more expensive. f c p euro dot com and r m european dot com are 2 places with cheap OE/OEM parts. The M112/113 engines are some of the most reliable and easy to maintain engines made. In fact, it is the most reliable part of the 210. The engine will still be going long after the rest of the car has fallen apart so it seems odd to want to pull that out. What we typically see if the folks who part out perfectly good MB's to pull the engine out to swap into some other make of car. But, to each his own, just seems like a lot of effort to go thru for not much reward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess I do not get where you come up with MB parts are more expensive. f c p euro dot com and r m european dot com are 2 places with cheap OE/OEM parts. The M112/113 engines are some of the most reliable and easy to maintain engines made. In fact, it is the most reliable part of the 210. The engine will still be going long after the rest of the car has fallen apart so it seems odd to want to pull that out. What we typically see if the folks who part out perfectly good MB's to pull the engine out to swap into some other make of car. But, to each his own, just seems like a lot of effort to go thru for not much reward.
I already have a reliable daily driver and the reward is a motor that can make 1500+hp if i really wanted it to with good aftermarket and cheap parts.

·
Registered
1996 SL500, 2000 E430
4,802 Posts
...I guess I do not get where you come up with MB parts are more expensive. f c p euro dot com and r m european dot com are 2 places with cheap OE/OEM parts. The M112/113 engines are some of the most reliable and easy to maintain engines made. In fact, it is the most reliable part of the 210. The engine will still be going long after the rest of the car has fallen apart so it seems odd to want to pull that out. What we typically see if the folks who part out perfectly good MB's to pull the engine out to swap into some other make of car. But, to each his own, just seems like a lot of effort to go thru for not much reward...
^^^^^

What he said.

To do this job right requires a lot of planning and engineering. Years ago in our Club (MBCA) there was a guy who had a W123 300TD with a Corvette Engine in it. This was 24 years ago, and more of a novelty than a serious-looks-and performs-like-a-factory job.

He did do well on the autocross, though.

Leaving our National meet in Portland IIRC he was sidelined with an electrical issue.

For a factory-type job our local car dealer took a brand new R107 off his showroom (in 1972 when they just came out) and over the next 10-15 years made enhancements to the M100 engine and its transmission (parted out from a wrecked 600)... 560SL suspension, I forget everything he did. But it was quite an undertaking to the point Daimler asked him if they could ship it over to look at.IIRC he said to build one yourself ;-)

He had widened the transmission tunnel, lowered the crossmember to fit the massive V8 inside...and 100 other things. I drove it once and called it a German Cobra. You could break the tires at 60 mph. It was a beautiful job but in driving it I thought that it wanted to kill me with so much performance.

40 years ago with all of his shop labor and parts spent easily $300K (those dollars - not now) on it.

Most of these conversions...well, anyway, good luck.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,847 Posts
We do have long pictorial on the forum, where member fit Supra engine into W210 to make it ultimate sleeper.
From what I remember he was a body shop owner, so it was possible for him. Still his low estimate the job was worth $18,000 in labor.
Seek the topic for some guidance.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts