Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1981 240GD+, Alfa Brera 3,2 V6 Q4 2006, Alfa GT 3,2 V6.
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this coversion/addition to a G and how successful was the conversion?
I visited the website of Spongecars in the UK with some very interesting atricles. http://www.ilovesponge.com/spongecars/diesel/dieseltechnical.htm

·
Registered
Mercedes 220D 1973
57 Posts
More then one year ago I have inquired the forum whit the same question. You can look for this tread and check it, just search for LPG. I believe that no one tried this transformation, but there was a British guy that was planning on doing so. I gave up this idea for the moment because it seems that no one ever knows about it in Portugal and I just can’t find a company to make the installation.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, got to the sites and others but no "specific" info on G especially on the indirected fuel injection, all info and reports are on direct fuel injection engines.

·
Registered
1980 250GD Cabrio
227 Posts
Are you referring to LPG conversion or to propane fumigation? If it is the former, there are a number of companies that have undertaken this with good success. For the latter, there is very limited information available. I have been unable to locate a "kit". I do recall finding a website that described in great detail how someone had assmbled a system that trickled propane into the air intake. Suprisingly, propane has a much higher flash point than does diesel. However, once ignited it burns much faster and it acts as an accelerant to ensure that all the diesel is burned (this is partly where the extra power comes from). In theory, you can gain up to 40% more power by increasing the amount of propane. This would probably be a temporary increase and would only last until the engine tears itself apart though.

All of this is "net knowledge" and I haven't done it myself as I can't afford to experiment with my daily driver.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Very interesting

Emissions is one of the things that weighs on my mind a little running the old tech engines. If a simple little box and a bottle of LPG could clean it up some, that would be very cool. Extending the range of on board fuel by 20-30% would be nice as well.

Thanks for that link!

Keep 'em coming, and MZ, stay in touch regarding what you do.

-Dave G.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RE: Very interesting

Hipine - 4/6/2005 4:22 PM

Thanks for that link!

Keep 'em coming, and MZ, stay in touch regarding what you do.

-Dave G.
Dave, I will be spending some time in Europe again for the next month or so, but big plans are in the pipeline, gearbox, TC, LPG etc. and a big trip in the Namibian Desert & to the Lesotho mountain again. Will keep in touch!

M.

·
Registered
Mercedes 220D 1973
57 Posts
I’m very interested in this LPG conversion because of the emission issue. My daily drive is a Mercedes 220D from 1973 and I really like to do same thing more about the emissions them running it on a blend of vegetable oil.
If same one researches this in the EU I would appreciate same information about the certification of this system. Since no manufacture is selling it in Portugal the only possibility I have to install it is if same National Laboratory of an EU country certifies this for road use.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
I dont know if you have what we have in Europe "Green Diesel" it is reputed to burn cleaner have less emmisions and particulates and produce more power.
To acheive this all that has happend is that EU legislation has allowed Kerosene to be blended with road diesel at the rate of 15% it actualy achieves lower emmisions than LPG, my recomendation is make your own "Green Diesel" if the legislation in your country allows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts