Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With some research, and stubbornness, I have ordered this kit:

Commonwealth Motoring produces these kits, either separate or a full complete kit, or however you want to go about it -- they can take care of it for you. Labelled as a w124/w202 setup. But the r129's are the same platform for w124 suspension wise... so... :devil

Ordered the kit a little over a month ago. I also ordered to be powder coated black since, well, New England salt. :)

So at this point I still need to order the struts, bags, lines, and management. Plan is to order some slam series 5 bags, lines & necessary hardware, and management. Management will be autopilot v2 so I have a nice little handy controller with a screen status. Also small convenience factors in that management too, including air up on key. These can be sourced for $700 NEW -- if you can find the right person. :wink

I am looking for ideas on struts... CATuned sells coil over strut setups for the w124 chassis but it's around $1,024 USD. Pricey. Next go to is getting just Bilstein B6 or B8 (shorter travel, a lot more sportier?) struts. I'm not looking to go super low. 1" drop alone while driving is great, and having the option to go up a little higher or lower, whatever, is convenient. I like the look even with no air in the system. My original idea is a Bilstein B6/B8 struts all around, but I am no engineer - just a dreamer pursuing it. :)

As for the struts, I found this post helpful WITH p/n #'s: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1406109-lowering-r129-standard-suspension-103.html#post5653276

I have poked at the thread, but... it's a few years old. Let's start a new discussion, specifically air suspension.. :)

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
The above hardware is for replacing the rear springs and shock, so you can drop (or raise) the rear?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
Put it all together and show us the final setup.

I'm good with the factory offering (ADS).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm a little under two weeks from my deadline to a car related, well, used to be a car event anyway, in Ocean City. The front set up is all set, just doing the rears, some wiring, tidying up... and hopefully done.

Easier said than done.

Looking for any performance strut options by anyone who still lurks here. :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
A proper air ride suspension setup can provide terrific ride quality along with ride height adjustability on demand. Interesting project, never seen r129 bagged, but considering cross-compatibility of many suspension components of w124, certainly doable, and props to you for tackling it.

Now, to the struts, Bilstein does make B8 units for our cars, special order only, takes more than two week for sure, I don't know the part numbers (they no longer list them in their catalog), but they still list B12 kit, which essentially consists of B8 shortened shocks/struts and lowering springs. I would call them directly to see if these units can still be ordered individually, wo the springs, just as shocks/struts.

Look forward seeing your final results!

Regards,
D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Struts for these cars specifically from Bilstein are not cheap by any means... I will eventually need to replace them since the passenger side is already becoming defunct.

At the moment, the front is all plumbed and tidied up. All that is left is to finish the rear control arms, drill for the air lines, maybe do rear trailing arm bushings since they are are horribly shot, and finish the setup that will be in the trunk.

And I want to drive this after to Ocean City, MD. Ha! The pressure is on.

·
Registered
452 Posts
AFAIK, bilstein sport shocks typically aren't an ideal choice for being bagged, unless you're really conservative with the lowering. They have internal bumpstops and a limited operating range before you're riding on the bumpstops. Makes for a horrible ride, negating the ride quality side of air suspensions.

I believe there was a guy, current or prior owner of rotiform wheels, who used modified W124 Koni shocks to do a custom adjustable coilover setup on his R129. Was on this forum way back.

·
Registered
944 Posts
...I believe there was a guy, current or prior owner of rotiform wheels, who used modified W124 Koni shocks to do a custom adjustable coilover setup on his R129. Was on this forum way back.
Interesting you mention W124 and Koni, I've been trying to do a little research on adapting Koni to our cars. I've used Koni "Red" adjustable inserts on my old M103 W201 and Koni "Red" full units on my old 850 T5.

Reason for me wanting Koni on R129, I loved adjustability of Koni's, and I'm not a cheap skate, but I just don't see why would B6 R129 units for the front cost 3 times as much as the front B8's I have in my W202 Two extra brackets? Exclusivity? Lack of demand? Let's not even mention the cost of "B12" kit ...

I know Koni's are considerably more affordable and many units are the same across many W201 and W124 applications, I just wish I had a spare pieces from W124 so I can do the fitment and measurements and test fitment... May not work, but I want to try.

Regards,
D

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'd goto the boneyard or maybe solicit a cheap used shock from the W124 forum to do a test fit. Your route sounds like it's worth the effort to see if Koni shocks can be adapted.

I agree it's befuddling why Bilstein's sport shocks are so expensive for our cars. As far as I can remember, in every application I've bothered to look up over the years, Koni was always the more expensive option over Bilstein Sports by a few hundred bucks per set. If only Koni would make a set for our cars in the first place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you wanna get some info on a bag setup and such you should def look up osakaflocka on instagram he has a bagged one and is super helpful when it comes to stuff if youre wondering i know im late to the party and you are pretty far along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you wanna get some info on a bag setup and such you should def look up osakaflocka on instagram he has a bagged one and is super helpful when it comes to stuff if youre wondering i know im late to the party and you are pretty far along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.

He's actually somewhat local to me, a little over an hour. North I asked him once or twice, but he had a shop do it for him, and I think they made him a set to work. Tried looking underneath it at a show last year and couldn't unfortunately see.

As for our discussion on struts! The gentleman over at Commonwealth I bought the kit from, a year ago had posted to a Facebook group a while back about using Ford ranger shocks for the front with a little modification, and Saab rears with more modification to achieve a better low.

I also saw CATuned had some setups for 190e/w124 which is probably special order. The last time I saw them on their site, they were around ~$1,000ish and have seen them installed in w124's.

I'm just worried about how much I have to burn in my damn pocket. No bilsteins. Dammit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
hamburglar
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing