Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Lowering Springs

1125 7
Hi, I'm new to this site and am glad to join in!

Currently I am looking at lowering springs for my 190E based on following pre-requisites:

a. about 1 1/2 to 2 inches
b. not too harsh ride

Does anyone know which brand of spring is better based on above conditions - H&R, Eibach, Sachs, Bilstein or others? Thanks a million!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
The actual drop can be fine tuned in 5mm steps to a degree with the suspension pads that o...

The actual drop can be fine tuned in 5mm steps to a degree with the suspension pads that our cars use with the springs.

I think the generall concensus is that H&R's are stiffer than Eibach and lower the car a bit more. "Not too Harsh" is a bit subjective, since a lot will depend on what tires you run with also. Low profile tires will greatly affect what you feel when going over a bump or pothole. Add onto that, sport shocks, like the Sport Bilsteins or adjustable Konis should be installed when you change over, or when the stock shocks start to fail because of the reduction in travel. All corner alignment too.

Spax and Intrax also make lowering kits for the W201. Also, in Europe, there are coilover kits for the W201.

· Registered
190E
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Currently I'm using 17" x 7.5 wheels with 215/40 tires, sitting on standard springs and shocks in front (not sure about rear though).

However the front has almost 3 1/2 inches of clearance from fender, and I have changed the thinest rubber cup kit but it did not seem to help. Thus I am looking for springs that can lower it about 1 1/2 to 2 inches if possible, but not too stiff.

Do you know about how much drop the Eibach spring can bring, as compared to H&R? Thanks again!

· Registered
190E
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Currently I'm using 17" x 7.5 wheels with 215/40 tires, sitting on standard springs and shocks in front (not sure about rear though).

However the front has almost 3 1/2 inches of clearance from fender, and I have changed the thinest rubber cup kit but it did not seem to help. Thus I am looking for springs that can lower it about 1 1/2 to 2 inches if possible, but not too stiff.

Do you know about how much drop the Eibach spring can bring, as compared to H&R? Thanks again!

· Registered
190E
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,803 Posts
Either the H&R or the Eibachs will drop the car in the range you're looking for. There's ...

Either the H&R or the Eibachs will drop the car in the range you're looking for. There's an ongoing discussion of H&R and Eibach on the 190Revolution Forum:

http://azure.bbboy.net/190revolution-viewthread?forum=6&thread=221

· Registered
190 2.3-16
59 Posts
Use the (R129) 500SL springs if you can get them. However, with the progressiveness of t...

Use the (R129) 500SL springs if you can get them. However, with the progressiveness of the spring rate it would be a little bit harsher of a ride, but man are they stiffff![:eek:)]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.