Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Vito, X5, Fireblade, GSXR 1000
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right firstly i will say sorry cos i reckon this had probably been posted before, i just not got time to look through as i am at work and not really meant to be on here but here goes,
I am looking to drop my 638 35-40mm, can anyone reccomend a set of springs? also do you reckon i should change the shocks while i am there?

·
Registered
108CDI Vito, 1996 Fireblade, 1978 Dresda Honda CR750
97 Posts
eBay, set of springs about £190 a set cheapest. Eibach probably best but a lot more expensive. Shocks are only worth changing if yours are worn.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was looking at spending about £200 on springs so thats cool, its a 1998 van so i would imagine they probably are a bit worn.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dunno, mine is a 2000 plate and shocks are still mint. It's not a mammoth task to replace springs so I would just get the springs for now and access the shocks once you have your current springs removed. Do you want to sell your current standard springs? I am
Looking for a cheap set to cut too see how low my van can physically go without air ride stuff.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once i have done it then i would have no need for the original springs so your more than welcome to them.
i only asked about shocks cos if they off i might as well put new ones on, well that was my thinking, might just throw a set on and see how we go.

·
Registered
Vito 280 ,ZX7r,gsxr 750, ,Z650 Cafe ,Benelli Tornado.Ford consul , Ford Pop , ,Chevy Astro,Dog,Wife
1,481 Posts
Looking for a cheap set to cut too see how low my van can physically go without air ride stuff.
Danger by name...........:D

Trouble with goin too low is that they squat, like the old beetles...destroying yer wide tyres in the process...and you cant bring it back up without bags....
Jack it up and remove the springs and have a look.....
Might look cool at the shows though.....:)

Did you fit the discs yet Chris..???

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No i gave up on the disc idea for now Pat, it stops so thats good enough for me for now, ploughing funds into my fighter project at the min.
How you getting on with yours?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cutting springs can be as dangerous or as safe as you make it. If I was to go at them with a cutting torch whilst fitted etc and not constrain the rear springs after then I agree, it's a bit shady but I will be taking everything apart, making a top hat collar for the rear springs and dressing everything properly etc. i know the lower I go the worse the neg camber will get but it's going to remain sensible enough to throw 2 race bikes in the back so shouldn't be too bad.

·
Registered
Vito 280 ,ZX7r,gsxr 750, ,Z650 Cafe ,Benelli Tornado.Ford consul , Ford Pop , ,Chevy Astro,Dog,Wife
1,481 Posts
Wasnt even thinkin youd be cutting the springs in situ...that'd be mad Ted......:D

Two race bikes (track or dirt ?) would be fairly heavy over the back
...wont give ya much to play with....

Chris..as you may have seen i bought a V280 , so i'm working up to transferring most of that into the 108.. then i'll fit the discs and finish spraying her..cant wait..working on the Consul at the moment.....just not enough of me to go around....:eek:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Track bikes, I have access to arch rollers etc so not worried about scraping etc.
I have cut them in situ before with an angle grinder (cut 1/2 way thru and then hit with hammer. ) but it's waaaaay too shady!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Track bikes, I have access to arch rollers etc so not worried about scraping etc.
I have cut them in situ before with an angle grinder (cut 1/2 way thru and then hit with hammer. ) but it's waaaaay too shady!
So yer plan is to wheel the bikes "straight" into the van.............:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No i didnt see that Pat, to be fair i not been on much, been concentrating on my fighter and other bike related projects, i got the same problem as you mate, not enough of me to do everything i wanna do, o and the cash seems to run out faster with 2 projects on the go.
All i am left to do to mine is windows, lowering, making the back look ok and put a system in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think there needs to be a better way of displaying sarcasm on forum posts......ride the bike into the van.....must think I'm mad! ;)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I think there needs to be a better way of displaying sarcasm on forum posts......ride the bike into the van.....must think I'm mad! ;)[/QU

If the van was low enough you could ride it straight in. :thumbsup:
I did get the joke.i'm Irish..not stoopid...........:D

I thought they were dirt bikes..........no lowering reqd..........:D

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now u get personal, u may think your bike is faster than mine, it ain't by the way but if it was u wouldnt be, lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts