Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1981 380sel
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing around for options on lowering the 560sec and pretty much only came across the h&r springs. I was talking to a contact of mine whom I get bmw wheel information from and asked him if he had any connections to get some amg2 monoblocks. We chatted for a bit and we started talking about lowering the car. He then told me he had a set of vogtland lowering springs which would lower the sec 40mm. Do any of you guys have thoughts about the vogtland springs? pros? cons?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Never heard of them, never used them. I have installed the H&R's on a number of SEC's as have quite a few listers. I'd wager everyone who has installed them was happy with they result.

You're more then welcome to experiement if you like, I'd be curious to hear how it turns out.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1981 380sel
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have actually heard of the company while looking for springs in the bmw. They were actually very hard to come by. I may try them out depending on the price just to be different. =)

jhodg...did you ever get the prices for the euro headlights?

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
827 Posts
your spesifically asked for cons,

this would over time ruin the bearing suspention system both in the front and rear.

I have probably one of the lowest SEC's, and several other w126's and alot of experience in long term results of lowering.

if you are looking for preformance and comfort on roads and with more extreme corner driving then our cars are ideal for, you want to ride at normal hight, but really need to look into heavy duity stiff suspention.

if you are going track racing, or modding your w126 for "looks" and better grip for cheep money, lowering is an alternative, but unfortunatly detructive in the long run for our cars.

For anyone who disagrees with my experience conserning long/short-term ware, please keep in mind that Mercedes-Benz have spent a lot of engineering on the "perfect" ride in most situations, and by lowering the hight of our cars we are forcing the rather outdated suspention into maximum angles, and riding it into extreme angles. If you have the cash to spend excesivly in a while, or can change everything yourself, go for it. I love the w126 Lowered to the extreme and beyond!

Englevakten

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
It's an interesting point about the possiblity of damaging the cars by lowering them, except that the H&R springs don't lower the car as much (by just a few mm) as AMG springs.

Since AMG (world renowned for engineering expertise) will also put in larger brakes and an engine with double the horsepower plus they're are quite anal about making sure you have a vehicle that is as safe as possible with the increase in performance, lowering a car by 40mm is not expected to create an unsafe condition or even something expected to result in an unsafe condition. The SEC upgrades available also include larger rims and a limited slip differential, but doesn't include anything special for the rear axles or bearings.

IMHO, we're just fine with the lower springs. Mine have been in there for about five years now, with no bad effect.

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
827 Posts
my first SEC was lowered when i purchased it in 2000... and I must say, I would never consider buying another ready lowered car. I would probably be the first to lower it once bought, but the damage done to these cars is time and money consuming to fix.... btw the SEC is totally sweet now, just changed everything for the second time around... new everything ;) just to gain that extra little "new car" feeling and grip bonus

Englevakten

·
Registered
1989 MB 560 SEC
220 Posts
As mramay and I have discussed recently, I have the H&Rs to put on my car. Mike informed me on the use of the 2-nub rear/1-nub front spring spacers. How do the spacers effect the lowering? And if I use the pacers he mentioned, do I cause extra wear? I really like the way the cars look with the wheels/tires filling the wheel wells, rather than having the gap, particularly in the front. And can you give me an idea of about how much drop there will be with this setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
h&r's are great, there is a new brand performance products offer that is called shatz i believe. german manufacture. i read somewhere in an amg catalog the reason for rims. rims are not only for looks but mainly for "active safety" i love that concept.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I'm with mike etc, I don't see lowering the cars (properly!!!) as having any adverse effects. Worst case some camber issues in the rear causing premature wear on the tires. As far as bearings, tie rods, ball joints etc. I have yet to see any increased wear.

Jonathan

·
Registered
748 Posts
when you lower a car further than OEM specs, your are going to see more wear on the suspension...no matter what car you have and what year. OF course, we are not talking that because you put a set of H&R sports, in a 6 month period you are going to mess up your suspension......but on the really really long run, specially if you daily drive your car, you ARE going to see some little more wear than what you would with your stock setup, nothing TOO BAD, but things like sway-bar end links, sway bar bushings, and control arm bushings will deff. wear out faster.

When I dropped my 300SE in venezuela with the AMG Monoblocks II that I had... we ended up dropping the car 1.5" in the back and almost 2" in the front...and it ended up costing me my rear sway-bar end-links, and my front end in general deff. took its toll.[}:)] ... BUT, for the handeling and looks....it was all worth it[;)]

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Some have pulled it and given the end result positive reviews. I still use my car as a GT (load up the trunk and head off for Long drives) making the S/L'ing suspension a handy bit to have in place. The non S/L'ing spring tend to put a bit of a rake into the stance of the car...some like it but I prefer the flat look.

Jonathan

·
Registered
748 Posts
I use to love my self-leveling suspension because I could put 5 of my buddies in my car, gear up the trunk...and the car would still look and handle beautifully....but all these nice thaughts and comments rapidly ended when my entire hydro-neumatic system started failing on me piece by piece and during an entire year my suspension would not be reliable...even when i tried several different recommended mechanics that not one change the same piece twice.... so, I ended up eliminating it. [xx(]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts