Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I saw some of the past threads on lowering efforts but there must be someone out there with more ideas. Lowering the suspension on my Porsche's back to Euro for track & appearence was always pretty straight forward. Benz is 'Greek' to me and this is the only Benz/E55 board I'm aware of (are there others?). My incoming car is already coming stock w/the 9mm front and 5mm rear spring pads -- so front could be dropped 4mm I guess but is that it? --- anyone have recomendations for different spring, coilovers, shocks? Thanks in advance. Gregg

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok let's see. The AMG stock shocks are actually Bilstein Sport<br>shocks so no need to change the it. The springs are made by Eibach<br>I believe, not so sure though. H&R and Eibach have yet to come out with<br>an aftermarket spring set for the E55. If you really want to change them<br>Brabus, Carlsson, Inden-Design and the like offer tunable solutions for you<br>but cost an arm and a leg. You can also go to Renntech Mercedes. They have<br>a suspension upgrade their. I believe they offer a coil-over suspension<br>for this chassis. www.renntechmercedes.com<p>Good luck and keep us posted.<p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other Benz/E55 boards

I only know of one other:<br>www.mbworld.org<p>If you hear of others, let me know also.<p>dL

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are there any trade-offs in lowering the car? Is the ride more firm than before or remains the same? Does the car bottom out on bumps and/or scrape against curbs more likely? What are the disadvantages in general?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trade-offs? Good question, suspension is all about trade-offs. What people mean when the say that, if you change something here (for a desired effect) it probably will be at some expence to a quality elsewhere. ie if you want very responsive handling / tight suspension (in corners,bumps,braking,acceleration) then a lower center of gravity & tighter suspension (less travel) is the way you accomplish it. The price is, you are more 'in touch' with the road and the driving experience, ie more feedback on the wheel and in the seat of your pants. The goal of most high-end luxury cars is to isolate the driver from all that -- which is fine.<p>It's all very objective -- a what-you-are-after type thing. Some people lower cars, just for appearence -- thinking they don't need all that 6-8" above the tire for mud and off-road driving. Many cars have taller U.S. versions than their Euro counterparts (for U.S. bumper & headlight beam regs + U.S. drver preference) some people may just want to have their car look (and drive) more like the original Euro version.<br>Anyway, it's all personal taste. Most people would say that if your car frequently bottoms out, is rougher than a go cart to ride in, then you have a poor set up Or have gone too far. <p>My experience is that between, better shocks, progressive springs, coil overs, ajustable front & rear anti-sways, that just about any suspension can be tweaked and improved --- sometimes having significant impact on the pleasure of the whole driving experience. Then again, it can be a waste of money (just kidding). Gregg <p>: Are there any trade-offs in lowering the car? Is the ride more firm than before or remains the same? Does the car bottom out on bumps and/or scrape against curbs more likely? What are the disadvantages in general? <p><br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No need to replace shocks or springs. You can simply purchase the european spec spring spacer at you local MB dealer. It will probably cost you less than $40 for the parts. Labor is a different story. Good luck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: http://www.symbolicmotors.com/2987/2987.html

Have tried to contact them w/o success, they are not returning calls or Emails.<p>: http://www.symbolicmotors.com/2987/2987.html<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone tried to use only the European spec spring spacers without changing shocks and springs to lower their E55? If so, then please advise how it looks (maybe a pic?) and also the difference in ride/handling vs. original setup.<p>Thanks.<p>I have a 2001 E55 and want to lower it but want to go w/the least expensive way. I like the handling of the stock suspension and the ride is acceptable. I just wanted to lower the car for looks but if the outcome is a stiffer suspension, then that's ok too. <p>Any comments? feeback? <p>Thanks.<br>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts