Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1987 560SEL
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!
i have this crazy idea of lowering my great but not mint condition 560SEL. Normally i would look for a set of high quality springs and shocks, but this one is quite Different as it has the advanced hydropneumatic suspension(HPF II) in fully working Order.
I know this type of suspension shouldnt be tampered with, but i have always dreamed of a Low SEL.

On both swaybars there is a threaded rod with balljoints connected to a valve which adjusts the level of the car, my first idea would be to adjust these to lower the car, Problem is that the car would probably be too low when driving in «normal mode» and completely useless if u press the switch for «hard» dampening.

The second idea i had is disconnecting the rods for the level control, and connecting the valves to a lever using a wire, allowing for manual adjustment of the ride height. This would probably be a lot of work to do properly, and i think i would loose many of the great features of the system.

The third idea is Disconnecting the rods, set the valves to the lowest ride height i want, and using the original lever for adjusting the height and setting it in the «lock» position when driving. Im not sure if this would work at all though.

does any of these ideas seem reasonable? My biggest concern is damaging the shocks with too low pressure!
maybe there is a better way of lowering it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
IF you can adjust the signal from the height sensors, that is far better than trying to modify 'hard parts.' IMHO. Far easier to run electrical wires to a solid state adjustable voltage regulator to increase or decrease the output from the height sensors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts