Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Euro500HVSEC. 88 Euro 560HVSEC. 89 Euro 560HVSEL
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
I forgot to mention if you are having pump issues- you can buy a SLS pump repair kit from MercedesSource which includes all the parts you need to repair the pump as long as it has not been run dry and scored the walls. Otherwise they can be sourced pretty reasonably from a wrecker/ebay and then the repair kit fitted to make sure it is all fresh.
 

·
Registered
1983-2007 MB's
Joined
·
8,011 Posts
Funny fact: The SLS being overextended on the highest position at delivery caused my 560SEL 6.0 AMG to starve for fuel and stall constantly. It was a chore just to get it off the transporter truck. This happened on the pick up from the Texas drop-off. Lowering it resolved matters and the car was able to run again, towards the shop who replaced all fuel rubber. Interesting...
 

·
Premium Member
W123 230TE | W126 560SEC | W126 560SEL
Joined
·
477 Posts
Something about the SLS system that many misconceive is that the SLS struts can be adjusted using the lever to adjust the ride height.
In actual fact, that would destroy your struts & make them work very hard. Roland has stated this countless times that the car weight is meant to be taken by the springs, and the struts dampen the ride from all the road irregularities & humps/bumps.

Once the lowering springs is out in, its a good practice to take the car for a slow spin without the SLS active, then only set the SLS height to the height of the car where the springs are holding it or slightly above, to compensate for a full fuel tank.

Only then will one feel the benefit of the SLS system.
 

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
Joined
·
4,005 Posts
Something about the SLS system that many misconceive is that the SLS struts can be adjusted using the lever to adjust the ride height.
In actual fact, that would destroy your struts & make them work very hard. Roland has stated this countless times that the car weight is meant to be taken by the springs, and the struts dampen the ride from all the road irregularities & humps/bumps.

Once the lowering springs is out in, its a good practice to take the car for a slow spin without the SLS active, then only set the SLS height to the height of the car where the springs are holding it or slightly above, to compensate for a full fuel tank.

Only then will one feel the benefit of the SLS system.
I think all owners of SLS cars would be well served to read section 32-501 in the factory manual. This is the description of how the system works.

The rear end is actually supported by the rear springs AND the 'basic' pressure of the SLS system. I like to think of it as the springs carry 90% of the standard weight and the SLS carries the other 10%. Just arbitrary numbers to illustrate.

As to using the SLS lever to control ride height, it can't be used to lower a car that has springs that are too long, but it can be used to raise a car that is too low. My SEC has been set like this since I bought the car seven years ago. The rear springs are too short so the previous owner used the SLS lever to make up the difference and achieve the proper ride height. I suspect the struts' life will be shortened by this but for seven years they have been fine.

I don't intend to leave it this way since the manual states various reasons why it's not correct. I have purchased thicker shims to install at some point.

I'm just offering one data point that it seems okay for the SLS to carry a little more of the load at rest than it's designed for.
 

·
Registered
2016 E400 coupe, 2018 GLE350, 2007 CL600, 2019 C43 coupe
Joined
·
126 Posts
I never mentioned I installed the rear H&R springs last fall. I bought FEBI hydraulic fluid from NAPA and the best part was the cost. I think I paid $13 per bottle but only needed a half a bottle after changing springs. Needless to say, this is an easy change if you have the correct spring compressor. It just takes a lot of time as you need to remove the rear seats to get at the top ram (shock) bolts. Anyway, the car rode like a dream with the new springs which isn't what I expected. The SLS works fine.

I sold the car on consignment at Gateway Classic Cars a month ago. They are an interesting company because all they deal with are classics. I tried selling it on eBay twice but neither guy who won the bids paid. I think eBay is not the place to sell a car IMHO.
 
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Top