Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S320 (89,xxx miles)
Joined
·
141 Posts
That stance is just right... which tires (size/brand) did you use exactly?
 

·
Registered
1995 Silver S-320
Joined
·
681 Posts
looks nice and level.


it looks there like you have barely enough room to slide through a thick piece of paper between the top of your tire and the wheel well.

When hitting bumps in the rode does that have any negative effect on the ride and/or the car?
 

·
Registered
'98 S-420
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tires are toyo 235-60-16 80,000 mile warranty.
I am more interested in life span than performance.
I have a racing Kart to abuse, and performance wise,
there is NO street car can post the same kind of
specs. for any price.

0-60, 3.2 sec. , 0-100-0, 8sec. 2.5-3.0 G's lateral = FUN

Kevin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Love the car wheels look good and stance is perfect..........Dont really like the splash guards behind the wheels IMO.
 

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
Joined
·
703 Posts
ok so you said this is on stock shocks? i was told by a friend that the stock shocks aren't built to handle the lowering springs and it's a matter of time before the extra weight blows them out...any proof to this theory? when i go for the eibachs should i get a set of bilsteins too?
 

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
Joined
·
7,218 Posts
S320_on_18s said:
ok so you said this is on stock shocks? i was told by a friend that the stock shocks aren't built to handle the lowering springs and it's a matter of time before the extra weight blows them out...any proof to this theory? when i go for the eibachs should i get a set of bilsteins too?
Yea I've been told that too, I'd think that if you were running bigger wheels you might want to look at a shock replacement as the lack of tyre wall might cause problems.
 

·
Registered
'98 S-420
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The main goal in changing the shock would be to get a shock
1" shorter to fit the shorter travel that you get when you lower
the car 1". That said the stock shock will work...it will be opperating
in a spot of the travel that the shock was not designed to always
ride in (covering or un-covering certian valves) not to say they
can't work in that spot, what about when you have a full load?
The re-bound rate is not right for a progressive spring, but
you will have trouble finding a preformance shock built
for an S class. It's just not a popular choice to hot rod. (BMW M-3)
It is a luxury linner not a sports car.
Kevin
 

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
Joined
·
7,218 Posts
Kevin Van Caster said:
The main goal in changing the shock would be to get a shock
1" shorter to fit the shorter travel that you get when you lower
the car 1". That said the stock shock will work...it will be opperating
in a spot of the travel that the shock was not designed to always
ride in (covering or un-covering certian valves) not to say they
can't work in that spot, what about when you have a full load?
The re-bound rate is not right for a progressive spring, but
you will have trouble finding a preformance shock built
for an S class. It's just not a popular choice to hot rod. (BMW M-3)
It is a luxury linner not a sports car.
Kevin
Well really teh worst case is that the shocks will wear faster than before then right?
 

·
Registered
'98 S-420
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe-
Knowing what I would like them to feel like, They would need to be re-bound adjustable. Fully adj. damp and re-bound would be best.
I could not find such a shock for the S class.
Not at any price I was willing to pay!

Kevin
 

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
Joined
·
703 Posts
NZ Benz said:
Well really teh worst case is that the shocks will wear faster than before then right?
that's what I would think because it seems like it's the equivilent to having a bunch of bricks in the trunk and the hood at the same time, all the time. however, wouldn't shocks like bilsteins be built to handle the strees of a lowering spring BECAUSE it's an aftermarket shock?
 

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
Joined
·
7,218 Posts
S320_on_18s said:
that's what I would think because it seems like it's the equivilent to having a bunch of bricks in the trunk and the hood at the same time, all the time. however, wouldn't shocks like bilsteins be built to handle the strees of a lowering spring BECAUSE it's an aftermarket shock?
Blistens are simply OEM shocks, I don't think they do a lowering one for the W140, shocks last for ages anyway, it would be the same as driving over bad roads every day or something like that, I'd not worry too much.
 

·
Registered
'98 S-420
Joined
·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not necessarily, Bilstein and Monroe were stock parts.
Bilstein Sports are another story.

I am out of here for tonight,

Later, Kevin
 

·
Registered
1994 S500
Joined
·
348 Posts
Lowering a w140 only seems to cause future problems IMO.You have a masive 5000lbs monster on lowing springs?plus you lose that soft ride..some of you might like it,but I think a nice wald body kit can give the car the same "lowering"effect without the future problems.
 

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
Joined
·
2,886 Posts
If you're simply using a compressed spring, what difference would that make to the wear on the shocks? I would have thought the "firmness" would have been to do with the compression and lesser play in the springs themselves as opposed to extra pressure applied to the shocks?
 

·
Registered
1994 S320 SWB
Joined
·
703 Posts
ok so i went to the place where I bought my wheels and asked them about lowering. the guy was really nice and called every place he could think of looking for a good way to do the lowering. we almost found a place that could do coil overs (basically shocks and springs all in one that are adjustable in terms of height) but they only made them for the c class.

good news is, they do dent removal at a very good price so i should have a dent-free w140 soon :)
 

·
Registered
93 500SEL & 99 S500
Joined
·
1,022 Posts
be careful how much you pay for that dent removal... those little ones can be popped but almost always come back! To fix them properly, you may need to paint...
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top