Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this has been covered. I am so frustrated today having spent 1.5 hours struggling trying to get my Hirschman power ant. unit out and am stripping
the bolt that holds it on.

From what I can see - (which is hard as I had to crawl into the trunk and place my eyes level with the Hirschman power ant. unit) It looks like there is a Philips bolt that has a nut on the other side.

Turning the philipps alone does nothing as the nut locks it in place.

Having gone through 3 sets of wrenches I'm now starting to strip the back nut.

I thought I'd stop and ask if anyone knows the Exact mm of that nut?

This way I can go buy the correct wrench as without loosing that rear nut I will not be able to remove the bracket the Hirschman Ant. is attached to.

Its so frustrating when everyone tells you its "easy" but its not.

THANKS VERY MUCH if you can help - I read 50 pages on this and could not find the nut dimension!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Everyone says "removing the nut is easy" on this power antenna. Well - not for me.
I'm hoping someone knows the mm size - but may go to Sears and get a small ratchet set

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
Sorry you are so frustrated. This willl be my upcomming project sometime soon. Just to see what was going on, I checked ALLDATA, and it tells you what to do, but not the size.
Going to get a set of tools would definately be a good idea. I have like 5 of every wrench ratchet screwdriver etc. But with a set of wrenches or ratchets, you should be fine.
Just go for a nice ride, get some tools, relax, and try again.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even with a new set of Metric wrenches the damn thing is like WELDED together.

In all the posts ... and I read over 50 pages of them - they skip right passed this part and just say "unbolt the power ant. unit" - - I see the bolt but it won't budge.
Tomorrow the drill set comes out with flexible tip --- I may have to drill it out.

·
Registered
1995 SL 500 2017 AMG GLC 43
934 Posts
Take a picture of what you are trying to do. The antenna assembly in my 95 couldn't be easier to remove. Maybe you 91 is differnent from a 95, I don't know. Pictures are worth a 1000 words...

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
Frank,
Lee Wireless is right take pictures, you said that you have a few cameras laying around, and unlike I you know how to use & post. Haha.

The nut I think is an 8mm-10mm or something small.
If you have room stick a vice grip in.

What brand of tools are you using, the cheap shit will get you in trouble.
Cheap and good are Craftsman/Sears and are everywhere to buy....

Brake it they give you a new one. ;)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
600 Posts
How to remove Hirschman Antenna to replace Seals

Well - Since I wasted 2 days I thought I'd post this so others might avoid the trouble I had.

First, look at the large Philips screw on the right. That one would NOT BUDGE.

I hammered, sprayed it, tapped it --- nothing.

Finally I realized the smaller bolt (to the bottom left) would turn.

So by loosening the small bolt (bottom left) I was able to twist the antenna unit
backwards and have it slide out of the bracket.

Once I got the unit out, I now had more room for tackling the large bolt (on right).

It is necessary to at least get that nut/screw ass. loose so the bracket will raise and lower. This is necessary to fit the seals on and press upward back into position (lower to get seals to clear inner fender/upward to press through fender hole).

Well the large bolt was being like Bi-a-t-chy wife that would not come undone but one I had more room (and 2 days!) I finally got it loose.

I believe the back bolt (square 9 mm ) was giving me a prob with "C" wrenchs and also limited space.

Seals are now fitted. and the unit is back in.

OH about CHEAP ebay antennas --- DO NOT BUY CHEAP ONES!

I asked Gary of Ebay what difference was from $13.77 antenna and the $39 one and he said "Just a little lighter and no Hirschman Logo".

Well -- that was inaccurate. The cheap ones sit 6 inches out of the fender and do not recoil all the way in. So I'm returning cheap one for OEM

And no - there's no broken cable as I disassembled the entire unit, vacuumed all dust, washed (mild detergent/soapy water) all plastic gears, blow dried, and reassembled with machine oil where necessary.

No broken nylon cable (which is what I thought was making my new eBay antenna stick out.

So at least my seals are in, Power to the unit has been rehabilitated, and I'm now waiting for a new antenna unit which HOPEFULLY will recoil all the way back in (it is supposed to go all the way in ... right?)

Such limited space for twisting/turning - made this a bi%^CH

Attachments

·
Registered
98 SL500
362 Posts
Thanks Frank for the write up and great pics. I tried last year and gave up. I didn't see the small bolt bottom left. Next time I should be able to get it out. Let us know what you unit you install and how it works. Thanks again. Russ

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How to easily install antenna seals

Here's a picture of my antenna Seals finally installed --- 2 days later :eek:

But at least I got other office work done in between so it was not that bad.

To install those seals you have to do the following:

1. Remove your antenna and nylon cord completely from your power unit (plenty of posts on this easy procedure)

2. Snap the two fittings together - upper and lower first (trust me - I tried every other way and went through two sweat soaked t-shirts)

3. Once they are snapped together, LEAN HARD on the assembled unit and it should "pop" into place into the fender. (I tried putting the bottom half on the ant. mast and pushing up through the fender - you'll never get it to work that way).

4. Once the seal is has snapped into place - next is the tricky part ... Make sure the LARGE PHILLIPS SCREW/BOLT is loosened and slides down the slot all the way - this will give you preciously needed extra inch of working room. Remove or loosen the second smaller bolt which lets the unit slide back and come out of the bracket (right side has no screw - just a tab).

5. Since the seal is angled downward/forward toward the front of the car, you need to wiggle / jiggle that Hirschman power ant unit back up from inside the fender well (**YOU MUST HAVE REMOVEd THE ANTENNA MAST COMPLETELY TO INSTALL YOUR unit back!!)

You should have only the power unit/motor housing with the 8 inch antenna stub that you are now re-installing.

5. After some cussing, swearing and profanity - you will have lined up the base/stub with the seal orafice and with some vaseline (or KY) you can pork (did I say pork? I meant thrust) it through the hole. All men should know how to do this.

6. More jiggling to push the power unit back against the fender, so it can slide inward (toward the trunk) and connect with the small left bolt. The RIGHT side does not have a bolt, Only a tabe that slides in (good luck with that - I gave up and let the right side just sit on the bracket as I could not line it up with the impossible-to-see tab after hitting my head 5 times).

7. Now shove the whole unit upward from inside the trunk as hard as possible - like a woman that wants it ... never mind. and once you get the black plastic stub butted up as far as it can to, tighten the large philips screw to hold it in place.

YOU WILL NEED a c-wrench to hold the square locking bolt on the back while tigthing (this is the one that was frozen solid on me earlier).

That's it.

While the unit is out is also a good time to dissasemble your power antenna unit, and go through the guts. I'm sure you won't want to do this again later. Mine was all okay. No broken nylon cords.

Only problem I had inside was alot of dried up grease that had hardened and looked like black dirt, I vacuumed it all, soaked gears in mild, soapy detergent water, dried everything, and it all went back in with fresh machine oil.

Now I don't have to worry about the car sitting in the rain with the open hole in the fender. :)

I'm done.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RM98sl - neither did I until I gave up on Saturday. And came back Sunday morning with a fresh cup of coffee. sometimes when frustrated we don't see clearly.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
Hmmmm.

So when I need antenna repaired, can I depend on you Frank?
Hey, thanks for taking the pictures.
Good job. :)

What's with the women thing?
That's my territory. Haha.
But you did get my attention. ;)

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just trying to keep the reading fun Albert. But you do it best so you have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm hoping not too many women are reading our posts!

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,371 Posts
Frank, I been doing it for years, no complains yet.
I think that you are safe.
So keep on riding. ;) Haha.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Albert, I got so confident after installing my new antenna mast, new seals, refurbishing the interior gears --- that I decided to pull out the radio/stereo head, and refigure my wiring.

My antenna was wired to go up whenever the car key turned on. Not good. Wastes unnecessary use and puts strain on that $350 Hirschmann power antenna.

Like the other man said, the antenna should ONLY go up when stereo is set to TUNER!
That's it. USB = No antenna. CD= No Antenna

So I fixed that too! Very happy and now works properly.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Better way to wire power antenna -

I have to thanks dbischoff for his GREAT pdf post on this.

It's located here:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1514841-how-new-stereo-separate-amp-antenna.html#post4101808

After reading it twice I decided to pull out my radio (Clarion CZ500 installed by prev owner incorrectly) and used a simple 6/8/12 volt led tester that I had laying around (received it for free in a car kit and never used it before!)

Image 1 - Shows the schematic of my Clarion. I simply downloaded from internet since I did not have the manual from previous owner (as well as missing the head case, and bluetooth/mic but I dont need those)

Image 2- These are all the tools I needed

In my case it was easier as the Amp/tuner combo (in the trunk) had been yanked out by prev. owner. Those wires were left hanging there. Some day I can ride piggy back on those wires (which rest behind the head unit) for installing a subwoofer, etc so I will leave them there).

Image 3 - I made a small slit to expose my wires leading to the antenna. All I was trying to do here is test and confirm the BLUE wire is the one that sends the 12v "On/Off" signal. This volt does not power the antenna - it goes to the circuit box which then controls the antenna (I later realized I could have snapped the connector off and test it there - oh well)

Image 4 - Once I snipped the blue line from antenna (which was connected to constant 12 v from radio - VERY annoying!) I knew I had the right wire because the antenna no longer raised or lowered.

I just connected it to the correct wire behind the Clarion (which happened to be the Same Exact Blue!) and BINGO now my antenna is raised ONLY when I use the TUNER FM/AM radio the way it SHOULD WORK. No antenna for CD or USB/Auxillary!

Many thanks to dbischoff for this fantastic idea that will extend the life of our Hirschman antennas!!:thumbsup:

Albert - you need to explain things like this - step by step! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,971 Posts
Frank, where is image-3 located ? Back at the trunk area near the antenna or up front near the head unit ?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good question - Image 3 is the rear trunk behind the liner (which has been removed) and behind the left trunk hinge. On the very bottom you see the edge of the trunk "air vent" and above (outside of pic limits) is the power antenna unit.

I should have taken one further back to add perspective - hope that helps.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
10,971 Posts
OK.
My next question is : how did you ran your (control) wire from the head unit to the trunk to patch into the antenna? (I am looking for some easy way to run that wire).

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Explanation of Power Antenna Wiring

Frank, where is image-3 located ? Back at the trunk area near the antenna or up front near the head unit ?
RKH - I hope this image is clearer. I know I'm visual too - if I see it I get it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts