Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ML320 does 18.5 mpg in mixed city and highway driving during warm seasons. After the temperatures dropped below 30F, gas mileage dropped to 17 mpg or less. Engine feels like has less power than usual. I hear high pitch whining noise changing along with the engine RPM, might be my PS pump. Tire pressures are at normal level. No lights are lit on the dashboard. Any ideas what should I check?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
724 Posts
Since you are in the USA, I do not know about the rest of the world i imagine in tropics or equator it is mute.

In the US we have summer gas and winter gas. Winter gas packs less energy 1.7% less, this and

warming up your car 0 mpg or

short trips cold engine 22% drop in mileage on short trips.

12% drop at 22degrees F

Just curious are you using high octane?
We switch back and forth.

Plus your in Indy? that makes it worse!

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
6,985 Posts
Short commutes never bring diff fluids and bearing grease to operating temperature. Engine stays in rich running phase longer. It all adds up.

And as per previous post winter fuel is less caloric.

·
Registered
'73 450 SLC / '74 450 SL / '01 ML55
468 Posts
ML320 does 18.5 mph in mixed city and highway driving during warm seasons. After the temperatures dropped below 30F, gas mileage dropped to 17 mpg or less. Engine feels like has less power than usual. I hear high pitch whining noise changing along with the engine RPM, might be my PS pump. Tire pressures are at normal level. No lights are lit on the dashboard. Any ideas what should I check?
18.5 mph. Hope you not going cross country.

sorry for the ding

·
Premium Member
2000 ML55 sold😢 2013 ML500,😁 2015 C250 estate wagon, 1927 Dodge 4 sedan, 1929 Dodge
4,680 Posts
Didn’t know about your winter fuel over there. Normally cold air should by rights give your more power.

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
89 Posts
Didn’t know about your winter fuel over there. Normally cold air should by rights give your more power.
Here in the US the Fed and State EPA makes the companies change the Winter and Summer mix for pollution issues, or so they say. Different mixes in different counties too, depending on population density. More cars = different antismog chemicals. Some rural counties don't even have Emission Inspection.
The Diesel in some areas changes too. In colder areas they mix #1 with the regular #2 for cold weather. That's an old practice. I guess it's cheaper than adding antigel/antiwaxing formulas. In my area the majors like Exxon and Shell say they add antigel in Winter. But our Winters aren't real cold like Canada and the Northern states.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
724 Posts
This changeover in the US provides the oil companies with an excuse twice a year to temporarily raise gasoline prices. They claim they have to shut down the refineries and convert from summer to winter, winter to summer hence a shortage.

·
Registered
2008 E320 OM642 Bluetec1992 300D 2.5 Turbo (Sold @ 248k running strong), 1985 240D (sold)
89 Posts
This changeover in the US provides the oil companies with an excuse twice a year to temporarily raise gasoline prices. They claim they have to shut down the refineries and convert from summer to winter, winter to summer hence a shortage.
Yeah, but the EPA mandates the change. I'm not sure I want to try to follow the money on that!

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
724 Posts
Yeah, but the EPA mandates the change. I'm not sure I want to try to follow the money on that!
I agree, but it always baffles me that a bit of planning can’t occur as to not create a shortage. No proof on it but to me it seems even if there was not a shortage there will be one.

·
Registered
ML320 2002
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Short commutes never bring diff fluids and bearing grease to operating temperature. Engine stays in rich running phase longer. It all adds up.

And as per previous post winter fuel is less caloric.
Is ML a bit too sensitive to the change in gasoline concentration, or a bit too slow in warming up to optimum temperatures? My wife drives a Jeep Cherokee and she does not feel any difference.

I also don't read any discussion in this forum about lower mpg in winter time.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
724 Posts
Is ML a bit too sensitive to the change in gasoline concentration, or a bit too slow in warming up to optimum temperatures? My wife drives a Jeep Cherokee and she does not feel any difference.

I also don't read any discussion in this forum about lower mpg in winter time.
Lower gas milage in cold temps is across the board for all makes. You say you feel a difference and your wife does not. That alone could be driving style of two different people. Does she measure a difference in mpg? Two different people driving the same car can yield different mpg.

Do you both fill up at the same station or different stations, same brand? We. Regularly use Costco gas. I can actually feel a difference if I use a certain other brands and not Costco in my pickup, it seems a bit more sluggish runs a bit rougher.

If you both work does one of you drive 10 minutes, the other 40 min..

If brand loyal try other brands in winter see if you feel a change. Last the ml engine is probably a higher performance engine then the Jeep, ( I don’t know if Jeeps have Hemis only and last Jeep I owned was a grand wagoner),as a result the Benz may be more sensitive to the winter gas

1 - 12 of 12 Posts