Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased at w140 - 600sel at a dealership. Note, it was not a MB dealership. The first thing I needed to do was to replace the upper engine harness. That one replacement did more to satisfy me with the car than anything else.

Now the oil pressure gauge has ceased functioning. When I returned it to the dealer, he showed me where the wiring has deteriorated to the same point as the upper engine harness. He taped up the bare wires and that seemed to allow the gauge to function for a while. Now, on a recent road trip, the gauge quit again. This is rather disconcerting at 85 MPH, to show no oil pressure. I kept waiting for the engine to explode, but based upon the previous adventure, I knew that it was just wiring.

Is there a lower engine harness available for these cars, that is reasonably easy to replace, like the upper?

Help?

Thanks,

Ken Thompson

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Sure, a lower harness would be available from the dealer, around $300 on the V12. In spite of having a limited number of end points it's probably harder to install than an upper harness - because it's under the car, tight quarters, bad light, etc. But not a terribly difficult job (at least on sixes and V8s). Any self-respecting DIY who takes off a lower harness will be overwhelmed with the desire to rebuild the old one. The big wires to the starter and alternator won't be bad, just the smaller wires, to the oil level and pressure sensors and ground wires to the starter and alternator, are a problem. They can be easily spliced in, retaped and reinstalled with the original wires for the starter and alternator.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts