Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im at the mechanics house right now and just finished installing the second and final arm. will be back with more info and pics soon

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It took about 4-5 hours to do the front two sides. The work done today included replacing

Front:
ball joints
lower control arm and bushings
rotors
brakes

While getting the bolt out to remove the passenger side control arm I managed to rip the lower radiator hose at the clamp. The part was old and beginning to feel soft so I'll need to grab one tomorrow if the local shop doesn't kill me with the price.

We used the jack to compress the spring coil and then slowly brought the jack back down releasing the tension. Then we put a long screwdriver/pry-bar inside the coil when we attempted to take it out using another pry-bar so that the coil wouldn't fly somewhere.

The hardest part was really getting to it, we had to remove brake pads/calipers/rotors for space/knuckle/tie rod end/and sway bar link

After road testing it I found it much softer, and could notice the difference... Its the kinda noticeable difference when you hit a bump and you know it hurt compared to hitting that same bump and feeling it but not so much hearing it...Know what I mean?

I still have next week to replace the rear rotors and brakes along with the tie rods and ends since I didn't have enough time to take out the rack.

I'll need new wheel bearing as well, such a shame that the brand new ones rusted away while I was waiting to put them in, so new ones are needed as recommended by my mechanic.

Brandon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
C'mon I wont bite!:D (BUMP!)

It's been a while since I've seen suspension related fixes so please keep the thread alive to spread awareness.

I've ordered the radiator (lower) hose and it will be in by friday 08/24/12 from the local shop who quoted me $50. Which isn't bad if you ask me. I'm aware now that this part is a 97 E420 ONLY part according to various sites.

While waiting for that... I'll need to invest in several more things before the job is complete.

Coolant - "Place recommendations here"
Grease
Wheel Bearings (Front)
Grease Seals
and a puller too probably...

What are Grease Seals? according to my mechanic they are located behind the inner wheel bearings and prevent the grease that covers the bearing from leaking out...

This is the first I've heard about this so please share more if you wish.

Brandon

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, just placed the order for 2 sets of wheel bearing kits and 4 pieces of new brake pad sensors. Should be here hopefully within a week or two.

·
Outstanding Contributor W221 Moderator
2010 E350 P1/P2, 2008 S550 Designo, 2002 ML320
1,987 Posts
What are Grease Seals? according to my mechanic they are located behind the inner wheel bearings and prevent the grease that covers the bearing from leaking out...

This is the first I've heard about this so please share more if you wish.

Brandon
The Grease seal is a metal ring with a rubbery gasket in the center of it. It presses into the wheel hub and prevents the grease from leaking out when it becomes a liquid (during normal use.) Anytime I remove a grease seal, I replace it, so I've never needed a seal puller. A long flat-bladed screwdriver will do fine.

Grease - Mercedes Benz Wheel Grease p/n: 002 989 00 51 or one of those from this list

MB 265.1 - High temperature antifriction bearing grease (NLGI grade 2, Specification 265.1) - Mercedes-Benz Specifications for Operating Fluids

Mercedes requires a grease with a high drop point, so most of the stuff you find at the local auto parts store is insufficient.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the response.

So the puller is mainly for this seal? if so, thats good news for me, since I wont need to buy one although I should probably keep one handy just in case.

The parts are on their way and i'm contemplating replacing the calipers but their still good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why would you replace calipers???

As for coolant, go with MB stuff. I notice your stuff is green, so I would recommend flushing it out and replacing with new MB coolant reduced with distilled water. MB coolant is colourless(slightly reddish).

Congrats on your suspension job, but next time please use a proper spring compressor it's a lot safer, not to mention faster.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Calipers are unlikely, Im thinking about painting them.

The mechanic is a Mercedes mechanic originally from Illinois. His method wasn't as safe when compared to using compressors but we took precautions overall.

I took notice of the design and found it fairly simple to work on. The mechanic even agreed. Bolts that hold the arm in place were turned the opposite direction so next time we wont encounter the hose problem.

(P.S. anyone selling a "bumper cover" for my 97e420 model please message me for sale)
Thanks

·
Registered
Mercedes W210 E320 wagon
406 Posts
brandon671, you should buy appropriate spring compressor. You will kill yourself with this jack method.
Something like this:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I replace my LCA myself I'd probably purchase this.

I just fixed the hose which took me less than 30 minutes. I should say that caution needs to be known when taking off the top of the hose since its so close to the alternator...don't wanna get that wet.

She seems normal after 2 drives on the road. Temperatures did not break 80, then again It wasn't driven long enough to prove it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 E320 wagon, 1999 E320 wagon, BMW Z3
98 Posts
I did the lower control arm bushings several months ago with polyurethane bushes. I also did end links, lower ball joints, sway bushes, and new KYB Gas-a-just shocks. I hate it. I immediately changed back to the factory shocks and it helped but it is still really harsh due to the poly bushings. Now I have to take the damned thing apart again and replace the lower arms. I plan to remove the poly arms and replace them with new arms instead of dealing with the bushing removal and replacement again. By the way, 1999 E320 RWD wagon w/138K miles.

What brand did you decide to use? I noticed your rotors were Beck-Arnley. Were the arms?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Most of the parts I order are from Rockauto or eBay since autohausaz's prices for shipping have dramatically increased a while ago.

I can't remember what control arm brand I purchased. I know for sure their not OEM but at the same time it was a priority to me NOT to get this part at its cheapest.

I did however install KYB shocks, probably the same exact ones you got. Their okay, not impressed, not disappointed.

I also decided just like you to get brand new arms instead of pushing the bushing in manually.

I still have tie rod inner and outer ends to replace, as well as wheel bearings and wheel sensors hopefully their in soon.

The front rotors are a centric brand. Their cheap...like $35 cheap...and haven't really fully tested them. The B/A rotors are for the rear.

I also had about 50% life left on my brake pads but I decided to just put brand new pads on since the old ones were formed to the wearing rotors.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
After more driving I've been beginning to hear a sound when turning the wheel all the way to the left. I took a look and I found the wheel was making contact with the lower control arm slightly.

I still haven't installed the tie rod inner and outer if it matters...

The parts were installed correctly. The tire leans at an angle when turned drastically as it should... can someone confirm this is a possibility?

thanks

·
Registered
2001 E430 4matic
419 Posts
Nice work Brandon, Now that you have done so much work, I would like to suggest that you change the tie-rods, then have it aligned. You do not want to pay twice for the alignment. What to remember is that your alignment is off right now and you will see a major difference after the tie-rods and the alignment. And Yes, alignment can create such problem that you explained above.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks Eagle. For a second there I thought it was a defective part.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Heres some pictures after re-checking the suspension and hose.

I also managed to find a wire harness that came apart, so I wrapped it up in electrical tape.

Had to tighten the hose and refill the coolant.

I also gave her another wax this time with the turtle wax. I'm not satisfied with Nu Finish.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts