Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
96 MB S420
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the lower ball joint, Must i take everything off and compress the spring or is replacing the lower ball joint a fairly easy DIY?

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,608 Posts
I was not beside my car when they replaced both ball joints (at the outer end of control arm) but they needed 1 hour and a half for both.

·
Registered
96 MB S420
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my biggest question is MUST I REMOVE THE SPRING? I was searching the forums and it seems like some say YES and some say NO

·
Registered
W140 Mercedes 500 SE, 1992, European, 410.000 km
3,608 Posts
sorry i do not know. but most probably yes. By the way, I paid 110 EUR for a complete work and parts (left and right one) so I think this is not a place to save the money.

·
Registered
93 300se, 94 s420, 98 s420, 95 s500, 97 s500, 96 s320w, 96s320, 99 s420
603 Posts
my biggest question is MUST I REMOVE THE SPRING? I was searching the forums and it seems like some say YES and some say NO
its an easy job if you know your way around tools and your car. you do NOT need to remove or compress your springs at all to do the job. i do not know who was that pro that told you that.. maybe thats the way that the mechanics these days try to rip off costumers and even the dealer might do the same. so anyway back in the subject its and 1.5-3 hour DIY job with the right tools. you have to get your self a rust penetrator so can soak them joints off the spindle( knuckle). good luck

·
Registered
96 MB S420
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also, do I have to take the spring out for an outer tie rod replacement or is that also an easy DIY just like the lower ball joint

·
Registered
96 MB S420
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
anyone know about the outer tie rods if i need to remove the spring or is also a DIY like the lower ball joint

·
Registered
SEC 600 V12 2dr COUPE (RHD) One of the chosen few.
2,233 Posts
Remember to remove the speed sensor and te abs sensor and the other motion sensors on the lower front end .. If you go hammering you MIGHT trash them.they are Vibration sensitive...

·
Registered
600 s
32 Posts
You don't have to take the spring out for both, biggest thing is make the car safe to work under, you may need two jacks if you haven't got a pig foot for the ball joint, so you can put a small amount of weight on the ball joint taper to release the joint taper with a hammer wack on the A arm where the tapered thread goes in from the ball joint, once it has let go from the taper you then can undo the bigger nut and replace with the new joint, you will need to take off the wheel on the side you are working on odviously, have sent you a exploded view of the front end number 11 is the ball joint once the car is SAFE and wheel is off you should have the job done in 30min.
Any problems get back me or ask for help, that's what we are all here for.
So the job is, night before spray joint taper with CRC,or WD40 (RE bnz 300se)
Next day, loosen wheel nuts, car up and SAFE, wheel off, undo ball joint taper nut do not take right off, jack small amount at wheel area so it puts weight on the ball joint taper,YOU WILL SEE, one hammer wack where the tapper goes in on bottom A arm and the taper should let go, it may take more, depending on the weight of the hammer, undo large nut and small taper nut take out ball joint, replace making sure you put locating pin in hole for ball joint then reverse of starting order, redo wheel alignment.
Cheers EJ

Attachments

·
Registered
96 MB S420
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks alot for the write-up and I take it you meant I dont need to take the spring out for the tierods and the tierods are much easier, do you have a write-up for that as well or is that much easier

·
Registered
600 s
32 Posts
you got it much easier once you release the taper your laughing, once the car is SAFE and you get under there you will see how you can put some pressure on the joints and tap around where they go in, or you may have to tap the taper itself out of its seat, in this case it doesn't mater to much as you are replacing it, but would undo the nut right up to the end of the thread and hit it, so then you wont Burr the thread over or deform it jamming the nut on , the use of a good penetrating oil over night does help.
If it was me I would replace both ball joints, tyre rod ends then there is only one wheel alignment,but if you know the history of the car then you will know how long they have been there., I did that plus sway bar bushes(torsion bar) and link arms, big improvement in the handling, I have found over the years that its the sway bar bushes and link arms that course the rattles, unless you live i n Texas, in that case look under the seat, carefully, or so I have heard, the only thing that can bite us here in New Zealand is the cop, and its your wallet, if you haven't got your radar detector on .
Would suggest a subscription to alldatadiy.com
another pic attached.
Cheers EJ

r

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
so that means that i dont need to take spring out to do the outer tierods? or inner as well, right?

no you dont. the only time you need to compress or take the spring of the car is ::

1-. when replacing the spirng itself
2-. when replacing the lower control arm ( A frame)

·
Registered
96 MB S420
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i did the job, the tie rods were a piece of cake but the lower ball joint was definitely a hassle. Getting it out from both ends was hard but i still managed and finished the job, yea, def dont need to remove the springs, wow... just shows how the dealerships LIE LIE and LIE and the quoted me $500 for the lower ball joint, $500 of pounding the ball joint out place since thats the only hardest part of the whole job

·
Registered
603 Posts
i did the job, the tie rods were a piece of cake but the lower ball joint was definitely a hassle. Getting it out from both ends was hard but i still managed and finished the job, yea, def dont need to remove the springs, wow...

its good to hear you achieved it and now can help your neighbor or your buddies in the future to do this job by helping to keep the w140 forever in the road

·
Registered
1990 190D, 1997 S300 Turbo Diesel, 2002 ML270 CDI
205 Posts
I just changed the ball joints on my car. The ones in the control arm came loose as i was removing the nuts. The ones on the spindle was removed with a small bang from a hammer. Easy job on W140 compared to other cars i have done.

rgds
Odd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts