Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Thanks so much for a great forum with very informative resources!!

I have been reading up for the past couple of weeks. I researched all the audio problems on the W220 Encyclopedia start here link and searched Google and various forums before posting this thread. I am sure many members must be fed up answering similar questions, but I am stuck...

I own a W220 2000 320 CDI (which I really love BTW) it does not have the Bose upgrade, as there is no external amp next to the CD changer.
I am guessing my system plays via the head unit? Is that correct? Or is my amp missing?
Does anyone know for sure that there are cars without a seperate amp?

I currently have no moister/water/damp issues, and the CD changer is dry.
The issues I am facing are: low volume on CDs and no volume on the radio whatsoever.
Is it worth pulling the comand fuse, as I don't really want to disconnect the battery unless I really have too

I have attached a couple of pics, also I found a broken earth cable in the CD changer recess. Is this the reason/connected? (picture 2)

Any advice greatly apprciated!
Cheers Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ran the Comand diagnostics and the only active fault code is B1779 - Fault in CAN communication with TV Tuner*

Could this be a cable? If so where will it be located? Has an other member had experience with this fault/ code or offer any advice?

Many thanks
Martin :)

·
W220 Moderator
5,511 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the Forum :)

Try searching through our Encyclopeadia which is in the Blue Stickies at the top of the Forum Page.
This is not a fault I have come across, except the bit about Phone Muting below ;)

That fault code you have is likely a dud TV Tuner, perhaps an old code or just a fuse, really needs SDS to see what is going on, but to me, without seeing it / diagnosing it this sounds like a problem in the COMAND Head unit :wink

Car needs D2B Ring assignements checked to see that they match what is actually fitted, also check version codings within Head Unit, again SDS required, you see, someone could have replaced a part with one from another Car and not checked / altered the version coding, also perhaps a fault has developed in the old Telephone system, which of course mutes the Audio during calls ........................

:dunno:

HTH,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much Dave for the reply!

I have had many cars but I really love the W220 my first, but definitely not my last!

The code ref the TV tuner is active. Please see photo
I have searched through the Encyclopedia for relevant posts and read all threads I know to be connected with the issues and am facing, many thanks. I am still reading and still learning.
I was hoping it would be simply like a fuse (wishful thinking) I hope it is not the head unit.

I have entered the hidden menu on the comand unit and it has given me some useful information, which I will add photos at the end of the post.

The items I have are: Head unit, CD changer, and telephone
I did the D2B WUP and it states the ring is open, so perhaps it is the telephone not connected? Photo F

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum :)

Try searching through our Encyclopeadia which is in the Blue Stickies at the top of the Forum Page.
This is not a fault I have come across, except the bit about Phone Muting below ;)

That fault code you have is likely a dud TV Tuner, perhaps an old code or just a fuse, really needs SDS to see what is going on, but to me, without seeing it / diagnosing it this sounds like a problem in the COMAND Head unit :wink

Car needs D2B Ring assignements checked to see that they match what is actually fitted, also check version codings within Head Unit, again SDS required, you see, someone could have replaced a part with one from another Car and not checked / altered the version coding, also perhaps a fault has developed in the old Telephone system, which of course mutes the Audio during calls ........................

:dunno:

HTH,

Attachments

·
W220 Moderator
5,511 Posts
Hi,

Something is not configured right, if you have a fault for TV module it conflicts that it is not configured on the F/O ring, or vice versa !!

I would definitely need to see the whole COMAND , CTel , TV , CD and maybe Amplifier via SDS to do more in depth testing ;)

I don't know, but maybe @Skylaw can shed some light, I know he has gone far more in depth with COMAND than I ever have, I just upgraded both of my Cars to Android :grin

In case you didn't know, here on benzworld there is another forum dedicated to Audio and Telematics which covers all MB Models, some more so than others :wink

HTH,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much Dave for the replies I really appreciate it.

Sorry for my late reply. I thought I had solved the problem, the navigation was not plugged in (see photo) but it made no difference to the audio volume when I reconnected it. The Comand system is original to the car. I was talking to the previous owner, all the trouble started when he damaged the Aerial on the back window reversing out of a low garage door and broke it off. This is how volume issues started. He replaced the Aerial with one from a breakers yard but there was no still no volume on Radio.

I really wanted my car to be original, but a friend has a China Android Comand in his C Class and he much prefers it. So I may end up there but I will persevere a little longer

Hi,

Something is not configured right, if you have a fault for TV module it conflicts that it is not configured on the F/O ring, or vice versa !!

I would definitely need to see the whole COMAND , CTel , TV , CD and maybe Amplifier via SDS to do more in depth testing ;)

I don't know, but maybe @Skylaw can shed some light, I know he has gone far more in depth with COMAND than I ever have, I just upgraded both of my Cars to Android :grin

In case you didn't know, here on benzworld there is another forum dedicated to Audio and Telematics which covers all MB Models, some more so than others :wink

HTH,

·
W220 Moderator
5,511 Posts
Hi,

So is it just the Radio Volume now ?
Is CD's volume ok ?

Shark fin Antenna does not supply the Radio, it is for Sat Nav and Telephone only, but there could be a link between the damage and your problem, answer my questions above and I'll give more info if it is relevant.

China Androids are very good, but still won't work if this is a Radio Antenna problem ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for being unclear, no it is exactly the same, low volume or the CD no volume on Radio and the same fault code.

Many thanks
Martin :)

Hi,

So is it just the Radio Volume now ?
Is CD's volume ok ?

Shark fin Antenna does not supply the Radio, it is for Sat Nav and Telephone only, but there could be a link between the damage and your problem, answer my questions above and I'll give more info if it is relevant.

China Androids are very good, but still won't work if this is a Radio Antenna problem ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
2 Participants
martinzx
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing