Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

New (to me) clk 430 - all seems great with it, but have an annoying wobble felt through the steering wheel between 25-35 mph.

Dissappears below / above this speed.

It is a pull felt through the steering wheel (left then right) approx twice a second - doent feel like the high frequency shimmy you get from wheels out of balance & the car feels stable at all other speeds. Most wheel wobbles I have seen in the forum relate to much higher speeds than this, so hoping the low speed is a giveaway for someone with more experience than myself.

I'm guessing at sway bar / tie rods / bottom ball joint, any easy way of narrowing it down? I like to DIY so help would be appreciated.

Thanks ;-)

·
Registered
2002 CLK 430 1999 ML 320
92 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. My guess is you need tires. Any good tire store should be able to tell you what the problem is even if it is worn or lose parts. Have one take a look. Might even check it for free if you know how to talk to them. You might want to fill out the rest of your profile while your at it. Make it easy for others to help you. Good Luck...

·
Registered
'01 CLK 430
2 Posts
I have the same car as you and had the same type of problem. My wobble felt the worst at 60 mph. Turned out to be a broken cord in one of the front tires (almost new). After Les Schwab and Big O Tires tryed to "balance" the problem away, the third shop I went to checked for run out and found a bump where the broken cord was at. Mine were low profile tires (245/30/ZR20) so it doesn't take much to cause that. I ended up buying two matching new ones from Discount Tire as they were much cheaper than anyone else. I wanted to get them from the shop that found the problem, but he said they couldn't even buy them for what I paid.

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New tires are being put on Saturday.... don't feel too confident that they will cure the shake, but they look worn so it is a good starting point.

·
Registered
Mercedes S320 CDI 2007
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New front tires did fix it - really pleased (surprised - but pleased) - thanx for the tips!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts