Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 W212 E350, 94 E320 w 194k, 88 Alfa Spider, 65 Lambretta
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New set of tires a month or so back as I picked up a nail up on the sidewall, couldn't repair and had enough miles to bite the bullet. Nothing fancy, basic Cooper (US made) OEM style tires but soon afterward I heard a small scrapeing noise on the front backing plate against the L front. Took it back and they bent the plate out and the tiny scrape finally wore away. But now I've developed a low speed 20-35 mph rear wheel shudder on starts and seems to be more prone to slow or stopped LH turns. It sure feels like it is coming from the right rear, nothing in the steering wheel all from the seat. I thought it was a rear wheel bearing or maybe even a flex disk but put it up on stands and even put it in gear and don't see anything really apparent. Now I'm wondering if the front left problem is related to the right rear and I have a bent wheel which was swapped in the tire change but can't see anything at slow speeds with the back end up it the air?:confused: Also replaced rear shocks around same time?

·
Registered
W124
5,178 Posts
Another possible is the driveshaft center bearing support (hanger bearing). When they go bad, one of the symptoms is a shudder when accelerating from a stop. Check it to see if the rubber mounting is all still intact of if its collapsed.

·
Registered
2011 W212 E350, 94 E320 w 194k, 88 Alfa Spider, 65 Lambretta
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
back up in the air but nothing so far

Checked the axles by grabbing both, absolutely no play; assuming with the shudder I'm feeling there would be some slop. The CV covers are all good w no apparent leaks and there is a smooth lateral motion.
Also remembered that I had tried to look at that center bearing support on the DS. Guess you have to drop the exhaust and the pan covering before you can see anything unless you are on a lift which I was not... ran the speed up to 40 a couple times while up in the air, no shudder without load. no rear wheel play and all suspension parts look tight. I believe its drive train because it doesn't happen every time I am hoping it is not in the tranny.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts