Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

For several months I've been dealing with a left front wheel on which the ABS would activate at low speeds. This would happen leaving a driveway when slowing for traffic, or backing down a steep driveway.

It used to happen mainly on slight turns but eventually became a straight ahead problem.

Ohmed the sensor, checked the connection, cleaned the metal shavings off the sensor tip.

Final answer? I believe two-fold. I removed the rotor to be able to thoroughly clean the ABS ring. I discovered about 1/3 of the ring was shiny, indicating rubbing on the sensor (loose wheel bearings?). I also found two teeth that were slightly deformed. I assume they were damaged when someone replaced the bearing.

I cleaned everything up and reinstalled, tightening the bearings ever so slightly over what they were before removal.

Problem solved! Feels really good to come to a stop and just stop.

Mike

·
Registered
( 1984 mercedes 500SEC ) .. ( 1978 450SEL 6.9 ) .. ( 1967 PROJECT IM WORKING ON )
10 Posts
hey mike , good to know that . some time problemes can be developed from things that you dont imagine they would couse a thing . there for , preventive maintenance is required priodically in order to catch these small things befor they could cause a big thing .
enjoy maan .

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very true, Khalil. Preventative maintenance is very valuable for dependability and cost savings.

Mike

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,465 Posts
Nice job!!

Just did a similar PM on my SEL. One front wheel wanted to go into ABS pulsing the first stop in the morning, some of the time, and couldn't figure out which one it was. I could get the right ABS sensor out so it was cleaned (metal shavings) and blew shop air onto the rotor slots. I couldn't get the left front sensor out without removing the rotor so I took a chance and put it all together again. Works fine!! Got lucky and cleaned the one needing it most.

·
Premium Member
560SEC, 190E, Frontier, 240Z
1,329 Posts
Great input. I have the same situation.

But also have a slightly warped rotor so I was waiting till I did the rotors.
And I want to do the shocks so I was waiting for those too.
And some of the front bushings, and connectors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts