Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 e320 4matic Wagon
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the higher torques, I have a craftsman wrench. for the lower ranges I have an old fashioned beam style wrench. Any recommendations as to what i should get for tasks like plugs, and other tasks under 40 ft/lbs or so?
I want decent quality at a decent price.
thanks

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,725 Posts
I bought 1/4" drive torque wrench at Harbor Freight for $9.
Not really needed in most of the applications, but torque wrenches need recalibration after some time regardless the brand quality. I never had a need for such precision, but hanging for example 20lb bag of sugar on the end of the lever and doing quick calculation should confirm the setting.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
I bought 1/4" drive torque wrench at Harbor Freight for $9.
Not really needed in most of the applications, but torque wrenches need recalibration after some time regardless the brand quality. I never had a need for such precision, but hanging for example 20lb bag of sugar on the end of the lever and doing quick calculation should confirm the setting.
I have 3/8" & a 1/2" click type torque wrenches from our version of HF (Princess Auto). I don't get too hung up on exact numbers - figure these are better than old way ;) (or the way the shops do it!)

But I could use a low torque wrench at times. Ones that come to mind are tensioning valve cover bolts on 300D & w107 so they don't leak. Figured those electronic adapters might work.

·
Registered
36,725 Posts
I am skeptic about electronic gadgets. Few years ago bought digital tire pressure gauge. After just a year it died, so I spend $5 for the battery. With new battery it still did not work. So I am using mechanical gauge I have for 20 years.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
I am skeptic about electronic gadgets. Few years ago bought digital tire pressure gauge. After just a year it died, so I spend $5 for the battery. With new battery it still did not work. So I am using mechanical gauge I have for 20 years.
I am with you on that. I also have a digital tire gauge. Never use it. Use a dial type gauge mostly, but still have one of those pencil types too. But I do use my electronic caliper a lot.

Regarding batteries. I had a battery fail yesterday in a rangefinder that I own. At local stores the CR2 Lithium battery cost $11-$18 each. Looked on eBay, and ordered 4 CR2 batteries from China. Total cost including free shipping is $5.98. They are apparently Panasonic batteries (or a good facsimile!)

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
I have had at least ten different analog and digital tire gauges, some of the digital ones even spoke out the tire pressure in a computer's voice, bi-lingual. None has ever failed. The only problem was that all the them didn't give the same readings on the same tire, off from each other by 1-4psi.
In regard to electronic torque adapter. Pep Boys had carried one brand, $40, the last time I checked, it's not in the store anymore. The manager said there was a recall.

·
Registered
36,725 Posts
In regard to electronic torque adapter. Pep Boys had carried one brand, $40, the last time I checked, it's not in the store anymore. The manager said there was a recall.
Now I am thinking about loose wheels rolling of freeways, mufflers taking on their own and such ;)

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
The reviews at HF are a mix, but still slightly positive. Dead battery seems main complaint. Another is that it doesn't work at low torques.

One idea that comes out of those reviews, is that it could be used to double check click type torque wrenches.

Digital Torque Adapter

Looks like vendors like Amazon and car part vendors no longer have this unit, possibly because HF does and is selling it a low price? Maybe that is why they are bad mouthing it?

Princess Auto in Canada has a similar unit for C$25.00:

Digital Torque Adaptor | Princess Auto

1 - 10 of 10 Posts