Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at work and about to leave to the bank, at lunch time, and I turned on my engine and so the low range light blink a couple of times, and then it turned off.

That is something that is not normal, so I then tried to put my ML in low range by putting it in neutral and then push the low range button, and the low range will not work. I would only get a blinking light and then nothing.

After my transmission issue, a couple of weeks ago, I was getting very upset with all the troubles I have had with my 2005 ML 500.

Then it occured to me to turn off the engine and restart it again.. Well.. it all work normal again. I could put it in low range and out of it with no problem and no more low-range blinking lights when I started the engine.

Have anybody experienced this problem..?

AC

·
Registered
99 ML430 - 13 328i
1,112 Posts
i put the car in neutral and pressed low range but it only blinks and turns off for me. this is the first time i tried it

·
Registered
2001 ML430, 1983 300SD, 2008 GL450
904 Posts
If it thinks that the truck is in gear it will not switch to the low range and the light will just blink. In most vehicles the determinant is via a switch in the gearshift. Assuming this system works the same way the problem was likely either a bad/sticky switch or the gearshift was just slightly not perfectly in neutral.

I wouldn't do anything about this unless the problem happens regularly. It is likely a switch or wiring issue rather than something mechanically wrong.

BTW - I didn't know that it would switch in neutral. I thought it had to be in park! You learn something new every day.

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
Put the truck in low range and drive around a little. Just in a parking lot. It may need the exercise. You should do this every so often... 6 mos. or so. Hopefully, this will cure the problem.

·
Registered
Black 2005 ML 500
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I will hook the obdii scanner tomorrow and read the error/pending codes..

After the low range worked again, I drove it in low range a couple of times, just in case.. I guess I will do this more often, just in case...

Regards,

AC

·
Registered
1999 MTrash 430, its a joke
190 Posts
When the low range light flashes when you first start the engine, usually means the low range motor has lost its position. So by activating the low range, it will relearn its position. You should also hear and feel it clunk, when it engages. Its like any other motor that has its own position sensor, intemittently it will lose the memory. If you dont feel it engage, you could always pull the fuse or disconnect the connector to the motor and see if that resets the motor. If not you will need some diagnosis. Driving it around in low range does not help its memory position. Only engage/disengage it several times will.

·
Registered
1999 E55, 2001 E320, 1990 560 SEC, 2004 ML350, 2001 ML55, 1995 S500, 1998 SL500, 2010 E550 Sport zoo
7,035 Posts
Ad nauseum...

The low range button is easily accidently "hit".. before you go scanner or technical...start your car, move the gear shift to neutral, at any normal idel range between 400-1500 rpm, push the low range button..the low range indicator should block twice then go out...once off you should be reset/OK.

Same steps to activate low range except after double blink light should stay on while you are in low range..

If nothing elese do a board search, or go to Wolfgang's page, and find out what low range really is, what it should be used for before major experimentation..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts