Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes ML 3.2 1998, Mercedes w124 250D 92'
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of replacing the low range electric shifting motor in my Mercedes ML 3.2 1998. Can anyone advise on where its located? I read that the lubrication of it with WD40 might solve its functionality problem(currently
the car is constantly in LOW RANGE) light doesnt want to come off while trying to turn it off in .

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re

Its connected to the transfer case on the bottom of the car, towards the middle. It has four bolts I believe and an electrical connector. Looks like this:
Is there any way of seeing a photo showing the actual location of this device
on the transfer case?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Low Range

Here ya go:
I appreciate the picks, I took this part of, and inspected the motor in it.
INterestingly it is functional, meaning that when connected to voltage
the electric motor and mechanism work fine. I wonder what else could be causing the problem
of constantly being in the low range gear and the light being on all the time, perhaps the computer which controls this device could be faulty, or something else to check?

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.6,.... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
3,103 Posts
I would try to reinstall it and see if it works. This motor is known to act up when inactive for a long period of time. Just taking it off you may have moved it enough to get the brushes contacting the armature again. The general consensus on this forum is to activate low range about month a month to keep things working.
That reminds me I'm going to go out and do mine right now before I forget. Thanks.
Mike

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,571 Posts
I would be tempted to check/replace the transfer case fluid.

Maybe it's sludgy, or worse, empty.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
re

I checked the transfer case, there is oil in it, it rotates pretty easly, I could only assume an electric problem with the sensors perhaps having to do with the transfer case ECU?

I would be tempted to check/replace the transfer case fluid.

Maybe it's sludgy, or worse, empty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts