Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
today I change my headlight lamp but I found that headlamp wire is damage after use for 4 year

from picture I need to use green tape to cover the brown wire because it damage same as yellow no shell to cover coper wire very dangerous if it touch together

Attachments

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
So this is not about those eco-friendly wires that somewhat older cars had. Have you had it from new? It looks like it has been run with high wattage bulbs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dear "Diesel Benz" I buy it from new and drive by myself only. service with MB dealer (bigest dealer in my country) And i use original bulbs today computer show that my headlamp have problem so i open it to change and i found this problem

·
Registered
ML550, W212 E350 4 matic, 1966 Corvette C2 convt.
2,675 Posts
The photo clearly shows that this damaged wire had actually sustained damage and it has nothing to do with the quality of the wire. Dealer service or not it is my opinion that this was caused by poor maint. Does not appear to be chaffed but actually cut or damaged by a mechanic working in the area.

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
This appears to be an issue of poor maintenance. Or maybe an owner doing something to the lighting.. Nothing to do with the quality of the wire..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so it is my fault? or i need to change workshop ? because i don't do anything with light. it come with car from factory "Osram 55w 12v" . i had service with MB authorize dealer every 6 month. and just check electric system at last year

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,429 Posts
so it is my fault? or i need to change workshop ? because i don't do anything with light. it come with car from factory "Osram 55w 12v" . i had service with MB authorize dealer every 6 month. and just check electric system at last year
I guess it isn't your fault if you have not put any too high wattage bulbs in it.

Does the other wire look the same behind the tape? It could be a bad connector joint, making the wires heat up, but you should have noticed poor lights in the car then. Another option could be some sort of corrosion at the bulb connector but still unlikely.

I guess the car has not been damaged in an accident, you would have told about that.

Anyone servicing the car and changing bulbs should have identified this and fixed it anyway.

·
Registered
2005 SL500, 2011 GL350
429 Posts
today I change my headlight lamp but I found that headlamp wire is damage after use for 4 year

from picture I need to use green tape to cover the brown wire because it damage same as yellow no shell to cover coper wire very dangerous if it touch together
What is the year and model of your car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it isn't your fault if you have not put any too high wattage bulbs in it.

Does the other wire look the same behind the tape? It could be a bad connector joint, making the wires heat up, but you should have noticed poor lights in the car then. Another option could be some sort of corrosion at the bulb connector but still unlikely.

I guess the car has not been damaged in an accident, you would have told about that.

Anyone servicing the car and changing bulbs should have identified this and fixed it anyway.
the other wire are same so i need to cover it with tape! my car never get accident. today i found that my friend car got same problem.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,842 Posts
From the picture looks to me that the crimp connection on the wire overheated and that is what "cooked" the insulation. Maybe not low quality wire, but low quality connector.
Not something I would blame owner for.
MB is very touchy about electrical faults on their cars. They replaced fuel pump on my ML with burned wire long after the warranty. Wouldn't hurt to ask them for good will repair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts