Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spoke to the dealer where I purchased car in November. Yes they have replaced one engine so far.
Since I live 2 hours away they advised me not to add oil and have local benz monitor and open a case for this issue/speak to rep. I have 1200mi. to date and need approx 1-2 quarts. tommorow I take car in. i cannot believe mercedes would allow a major screw up like this. This could really tarnish/destroy whatever is left of the mb cache.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Dan350 - 5/5/2005 1:03 PM

Just spoke to the dealer where I purchased car in November. Yes they have replaced one engine so far.
Since I live 2 hours away they advised me not to add oil and have local benz monitor and open a case for this issue/speak to rep. I have 1200mi. to date and need approx 1-2 quarts. tommorow I take car in. i cannot believe mercedes would allow a major screw up like this. This could really tarnish/destroy whatever is left of the mb cache.
Whoa, this is the second engine in this car???

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
As you all know, they will be replacing mine shortly. The dynamics of my misfortune has changed with word of other owners needing to have their engine replaced. Mercedes needs to be up front with us in regard to this oil consumption issue. This is my first Mercedes and as much as I love the car, I may not be inclined to buy another Mercedes.

bobbyM [B)]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
05SLKMadMax - 5/5/2005 2:16 PM

As you all know, they will be replacing mine shortly. The dynamics of my misfortune has changed with word of other owners needing to have their engine replaced. Mercedes needs to be up front with us in regard to this oil consumption issue. This is my first Mercedes and as much as I love the car, I may not be inclined to buy another Mercedes.

bobbyM [B)]
So, in theory, the rest of car your could, in the future, be out of warranty while the engine is still covered by warranty (based on the 4 year, 50000 mile warranty). Given it will have less time/mileage than the rest of the car [^]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
117 Posts
Believe it, the Mercedes we used to know is no longer the same quality made, quality service now. Dealers are horrible, treat customers even worse & forget MBUSA they are useless. Here in Florida my dealer Mercedes Benz of Sarasota keeps trying to fix my car & calls me it is fixed, pick it up still not fixed. The regional rep Larry Stains is even more useless & when I spoke with MBUSA at corporate HQ in NJ they say there is no one else I can talk to. After 4 MB's I have had it with them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Friday i had my car serviced for oil loss. down 1.5 quarts in 1200 mi. They claim cracked oil plug, however I dont have any stain under the car. I am concerned. I will monitor the oil manually.

·
Registered
350 SLK
35 Posts
Dan350,

I had about 1 quart loss every 2000 miles. They said it was a mis-torked oil pan bolt, and fixed it. When I said that I saw no oil on my garage floor they said there is a cover that catches any leaking oil. I will find out in about another 1000 miles if my problem has gone away.

Bill

·
Registered
515 Posts
I hate to think I should forget about ordering my next dream car: the 55 AMG. M-B better straighten out this mess with the 350 engines and make a public statement about it soon. They better change their attitude for the better. Don't they realize that the American consumers will purchase more of their vehicles than any other market, but only if they have a reliable product? We are not nearly as brand loyal as the Europeans who don't seem to mind the fact that their car is undrivable a good part of the time. They have better mass transit I suppose. But I want a sporty car that is dependable and reliable. I'm not at all inclined to enjoy taking my new Mercedes in for perpetual service while I drive a loaner.[:(]

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
Well, at least you guys get to use loaners when your Benz is in the shop. Where I live, the dealer is the sole agent in the county, NO LOANERS !!!!!

Any way, I have to admit, they took care of my warranty issues real quickly and without fuss. Lets hope that the oil problem only hit a small percentage of this "wonder" engine..... Does anyone else know any 350 CLS or 350 E owners who are sharing the same engine? Any bad experiences there?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts